Printer Friendly

Hair dye did this to me; Allergic student's forehead balloons.

Byline: TOM DAVIDSON

A TEENAGER'S head ballooned in size after a horrific allergic reaction to a common hair dye.

Estelle was also left struggling to breathe by a chemical called paraphenylenediamine, which is found in a number of products.

The 19-yeaold English student, who did not give her last name, posted a photograph online.

She said: "My forehead had doubled in volume.

"My head was like a light bulb."

Estelle, from Paris, bought the DIY hair dye from a super market and used its allergy test because she had previously suffered a mild reaction to hair dye. But she applied the dye after 30 minutes rather than the recommended 48 hours.

The PPD caused her scalp to itch before the top of head started to swell up. She took antihistamines, but it continued to increase in size.

She was rushed to hospital the next day when her tongue swelled.

Medics found her head circum ference was 63cm compared to the average 56cm.

Her mum called for greater awareness of the risk of PPD.

Estelle added: "I almost died. I don't want some thing similar like this to happen to others."

tom.davidson@trinitymirror.com @TomDavidson09 david

CAPTION(S):

BEFORE Estelle

SWELL SHOCK Student in snap posted on internet

COPYRIGHT 2018 MGN LTD
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2018 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Mirror (London, England)
Date:Nov 30, 2018
Words:208
Previous Article:Cops hunt Britain's drunkest con man; He runs out on huge pub bills.
Next Article:Spinner's ready to turn it on.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters