Printer Friendly

Hair dye did this to me; Allergic student's forehead balloons.

Byline: TOM DAVIDSON

A TEENAGER'S head ballooned in size after a horrific allergic reaction to a common hair dye.

Estelle was also left struggling to breathe by a chemical called paraphenylenediamine, which is found in a number of products.

The 19-year-old English student, who did not give her last name, posted a photograph online.

She said: "My forehead had doubled in volume.

"My head was like a light bulb."

Estelle, from Paris, bought the DIY hair dye from a supermarket and used its allergy test because she had previously suffered a mild reaction to hair dye. But she applied the dye after 30 minutes rather than the recommended 48 hours.

The PPD caused her scalp to itch before the top of head started to swell up.

She took antihistamines, but it continued to increase in size.

She was rushed to hospital the next day when her tongue swelled. Medics found her head circumference was 63cm compared to the average 56cm.

Her mum called for greater awareness of the risk of PPD.

Estelle added: "I almost died. I don't want something similar like this to happen to others."

CAPTION(S):

BEFORE Estelle

SWELL SHOCK Student in snap posted on internet

COPYRIGHT 2018 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2018 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland)
Date:Nov 30, 2018
Words:199
Previous Article:Smoking ban launched in Scots prisons.
Next Article:carjackasses; Thieves steal PS45k Porsche from woman driver.. then plough into back of cop car.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters