HOLLYWOOD BLACKLIST WRITER KILLED IN CRASH.
Blacklisted screenwriter Paul Jarrico waited 50 years for an apology. When it came, he had only hours to savor it.
The Oscar-nominated ``Tom, Dick and Harry'' author, honored on the 50th anniversary of the blacklist, was killed in a car crash Tuesday on his way home from the ceremony. He was 82.
Jarrico was killed when he drove off Pacific Coast Highway and his car slammed into a tree while he was returning to his Ojai home, authorities said. Jarrico, among the many distinguished writers and directors targeted by the House Un-American Activities Committee, had died by the time rescuers pulled him from the wreckage, said CHP Sgt. Matt DeMarco.
It was unknown why Jarrico's car left the road but friends speculated he was exhausted from the ceremony and related events and probably fell asleep. ``There was no indication he was driving anything but straight. He missed the first tree and hit the second,'' DeMarco said.
Jarrico was one of several blacklist survivors honored Monday night in Beverly Hills. The event was sponsored by Hollywood's four major guilds - talent unions that abandoned their members during the Red Scare.
Jarrico received a standing ovation during the solemn event. On Tuesday, he attended a luncheon for blacklisted writers and told a number of funny stories. Then he headed home.
``What happened on Monday night was a triumph - years spent surviving terrible conditions,'' Abe Polonsky, another blacklisted screenwriter, said Wednesday. ``He was really enjoying, finally, the victory after all these years. He was enjoying every minute of it.''
Ring Lardner Jr., one of two surviving members of the famous blacklisted filmmakers known as the Hollywood Ten, said Jarrico was instrumental in restoring credits for blacklisted writers. ``He was the outstanding figure in the whole ceremony,'' Lardner said. ``He had started the effort to restore credits. That was his mission.''
A few days before the ceremony, Jarrico told The Associated Press some blacklisted writers still had not had their credits restored. ``Some effort has been made to correct the record, but there are many more credits'' that need restoring, Jarrico said.
He refused to have his name restored to ``Las Vegas Story'' until all other blacklisted writer credits had been corrected.
He is survived by his wife, Lia Benedetti of Ojai.
PHOTO Oscar-nominated screenwriter Tom Jarrico, 82, was driving home to Ojai after being honored in Hollywood when his car hit a tree off Pacific Coast Highway.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Daily News (Los Angeles, CA)|
|Date:||Oct 30, 1997|
|Previous Article:||A RACE TO PULL HER HAIR OUT OVER; CANYONS' RUNNER SCHWEITZER TO BATTLE NERVES AT CHAMPIONSHIPS.|
|Next Article:||COLLEGES SET TO CUT FEWER '98 CLASSES.|