Printer Friendly

HEWAT APPOINTED CHAIRMAN AND CEO OF BELL-NORTHERN RESEARCH LTD.

 TORONTO, June 25 /PRNewswire/ -- The appointment of W.B. (Brian) Hewat as chairman and chief executive officer of Bell-Northern Research Ltd. was announced today by Jean C. Monty, president and CEO of Northern Telecom Limited (NYSE: NT).
 In announcing the appointment, Monty said that Hewat is a senior executive who brings to his new position 33 years of industry experience with Bell Canada and, more recently, in his position as president and chief executive officer of the Stentor Resource Centre Inc., an alliance of Canada's nine major telecommunications operating companies: Island Tel, BC Tel, AGT, Sask Tel, MTS, Bell Canada, NB Tel, MT&T and Nfld. Tel.
 Monty also announced that George C. Smyth, president of BNR, will focus on the continuing development of BNR's core technologies and on BNR's international expansion strategy. The positioning of BNR in such markets as Europe, Japan, China and Australia will be a critical element in Northern Telecom's global expansion thrust.
 "With the appointment of Mr. Hewat, we are strengthening the management of BNR at a time when the organization is rapidly expanding its international reach outside North America," said Monty. "I see Mr. Hewat and Mr. Smyth giving us a very strong team to lead the continuing expansion of BNR, which in recent years has been growing internationally as our customers around the world demand more sophisticated and flexible solutions to their communications needs."
 BNR now has approximately 10,000 employees with significant expansion in the last few years in the United Kingdom and the Asia/Pacific region. In 1992, Northern Telecom invested over US$1 billion in research and development work carried out for the corporation and its customers by BNR.
 Monty said that Hewat's experience in an operating company environment will also help BNR strengthen its customer focus at a time when the worldwide telecommunications industry "is seeing the rising power of the customer."
 Prior to joining Stentor, Hewat, who will report to Monty, served in a number of senior management positions with Bell Canada, including vice president, marketing and development, and executive vice-president, marketing. He is also a director of BNR, which is jointly owned by Northern Telecom and Bell Canada. Northern Telecom holds a 70 percent interest in BNR, while Bell holds the remaining 30 percent.
 "I believe it is because of this experience that Mr. Hewat will add an important dimension to the management of our R&D investments," said Monty. "Our rapid expansion, as well as the internalization of the telecom industry, makes it necessary for us to continue to build the management strength of BNR. Our objective is to move more swiftly and efficiently in using our technological strength to design and develop new products and systems for our growing base of customers worldwide."
 Smyth will report to Hewat who was born in Noranda, Quebec. Hewat was educated in Moncton, N.B., and London, Ontario. He attended the University of Western Ontario in London and graduated with a bachelor of engineering science degree in 1959.
 Smyth was born in British Columbia, Canada. He graduated from the University of British Columbia in 1967 with a bachelor of science in mathematics and physics.
 Northern Telecom is the leading global supplier of fully digital telecommunications switching systems, providing products and services to telephone operating companies, corporations, universities and other institutions worldwide. Northern Telecom has 60,000 employees and operates in 90 countries around the world.
 -0- 6/25/93
 /CONTACT: John Strimas, 416-566-3138, or Bob O'Brien, 703-712-8526, or after hours, 703-536-3116, both of Northern Telecom Limited/
 (NT)


CO: Bell-Northern Research Ltd.; Northern Telecom Limited ST: Ontario IN: TLS SU: PER

KD-DC -- DC019 -- 5819 06/25/93 14:52 EDT
COPYRIGHT 1993 PR Newswire Association LLC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1993 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:PR Newswire
Date:Jun 25, 1993
Words:610
Previous Article:CEDAR FAIR, L.P. DECLARES SECOND QUARTER CASH DISTRIBUTION
Next Article:DOW CORNING BOARD ELECTS HAZLETON CEO; McKENNON TO REMAIN CHAIRMAN
Topics:


Related Articles
NORTHERN TELECOM APPOINTS NEW PRESIDENT AND COO
NORTHERN TELECOM COMMENTS ON OUTLOOK FOR SECOND QUARTER 1993
NORTHERN TELECOM ANNOUNCES TWO OPERATING GROUPS, EXECUTIVE CHANGES
John Roth To Succeed Jean Monty as CEO of Nortel (Northern Telecom) in October 1997
Northern Rock names new CEO.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters