HEM: new exhibit.
The Historical Electronics Museum in Linthicum, MD, just around the corner from BWI Airport, has added a new exhibit, the AN/APQ-13. The story of the APQ-13 begins with the British development of the H2S radar in 1942. The British Bomber Command was losing nearly 200 aircraft a month. Apart from the enormous loss of men and material, it was also near the maximum aircraft production rate. By direction of Prime Minister Winston Churchill, the 10-cm radar was brought into production. In January 1943, the British Sterling and Halifax bombers were fitted with the H2S radars that provided a ground-mapping capability for both navigation and night bombing. The H2X system replaced the H2S radar. It used a shorter wavelength that gave a sharper picture. The US converted 50 B-24 Bombers into F-7 Pathfinder Aircraft equipped with the H2X radars. These aircraft recorded 1132 sorties during WWII. The H2X in production was called the AN/APS-15 and was a 3-cm radar. It was designed to see through clouds for bombing, as well as to serve as a navigation aid. During WWII, B-29s were equipped with the improved H2X radar called the AN/APQ-13, a ground-scanning radar developed by Bell, Western Electric, and MIT. The radome was carried on the aircraft belly between the bomb bays and was partially retractable. The radar operated at a frequency of 9,375 [+ or -] 45 megacycles and used a superheterodyne receiver. The radar was used for high-altitude area bombing, search, and navigation. Computation for bombing could be performed by an impact predictor. A range unit permitted a high degree of accuracy in locating beacons. In 1945 after a series of failures to build a modern heavy bomber, the Soviet Union's leadership decided to build a copy of the B-29. Several aircraft had made forced landings in Siberia after raids on Japan. The APQ-13 radar was also copied and was later code named "Cobalt" by NATO. In late 1945, the APQ-13 took on a new life when it was the first military radar converted to a domestic peacetime application as a storm-warning radar. About 30 systems were converted and installed on military bases. The CPS-9 replaced the APQ-13 in 1949. The history of the development, production, and application of ground-mapping radar continued after the APQ-13, but none have experienced the variation of air. craft, users, and applications experienced by the APQ-13.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||AOC News; Historical Electronics Museum|
|Publication:||Journal of Electronic Defense|
|Date:||Aug 1, 2003|
|Previous Article:||Golden Gate Chapter news.|
|Next Article:||Major Michael Fiszer, Polish Air Force (ret.): many soldiers have withstood the worst bombardments without panic. There was always the hope that the...|