Printer Friendly

HANDY HARRY; Your guide to DIY.

IF YOU spent last winter shivering in your home, start preparing for the cold weather now and make your home as warm as toast.

One of the best ways to do this is draughtproofing. In most homes far too much heat is lost through gaps around doors and windows.

There's a wide range of draught excluders on the market. Doors and windows are the main culprits for letting cold air in and warm air out. Different types of excluders can cope with different sizes of gaps and the type of fittings.

The simplest type of draught excluder is the self-adhesive type.

You peel off a backing paper and stick the excluder on to the door or window frame.

They're often made of foam, but they aren't very durable. Brush strips have short nylon bristles and are good at dealing with uneven gaps.

The V-section type, made of plastic, can be applied to the back of the rabbet into which the door or window closes, or to the side of it so the door or window compresses it.

The other main type to use on wooden doors and casement windows is the rigid strip excluder.

This is fitted to the door stop or the equivalent part of a window frame. The rigid strip can be either metal or plastic and carries a seal.

The main advantage of this type of excluder is that it's more durable and will cope with much larger gaps. The disadvantage is it's always visible even when the door or window is closed.

Rigid strip excluders are often sold as door sets, consisting of two long pieces and one short piece.

If you have sash windows you can use self-adhesive types of excluder. They are put at the top and bottom of the window, but for the sliding parts you'll have to use something else.

Usually you will have to fit a rigid strip with a brush seal down the sides of the window, inside for one sash and outside for the other.

On internal doors, the old sausage draught excluder will cure the problem. But you do have to move them every time you use the door.

You can also look at other areas of the house. Draughts can come in along the bottom of, up and over garage doors, loft hatches, letter boxes and keyholes, gaps under skirting boards and between illfitting floorboards.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2001 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Features
Publication:Wales On Sunday (Cardiff, Wales)
Date:Oct 14, 2001
Previous Article:A glass act; INTERIORS.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters