HALAWA FAMILY PLEDGE TO FIGHT ON AFTER TRIAL DELAY; Fury as Ibrahim held for 3yrs in Egypt.
Byline: ED CARTY
THE family of an Irishman imprisoned in Egypt vowed to keep fighting for justice after his trial was delayed again yesterday.
Ibrahim Halawa - who is facing a possible death penalty - was locked up aged 17 in Cairo in 2013 during unrest over the ousting of the Muslim Brotherhood.
The Dubliner's sister Somaia said: "To say we are devastated by today's outcome is an understatement.
"There comes a time, when enough must be enough. Ibrahim continues to be detained indefinitely.
"In light of today's development, we feel we have no alternative but to reapply for Ibrahim's release under the presidential decree." Ibrahim has been held without trial for three years as hearings were adjourned more than a dozen times.
He had been expected to learn his fate yesterday but the court put the case back until October 2 to examine video evidence. The Halawas insist 20-year-old Ibrahim has been jailed without a fair trial and no adequate access to a lawyer. They claim he has been tortured, had electric shocks, beaten, spat on and moved without his family's knowledge.
Ibrahim was arrested in August 2013 in the Al Fath mosque near Cairo's Ramses Square where his family said he was taking refuge as a "day of rage" was held over president Mohamed Morsi's removal. His sisters were released on bail.
Ms Halawa said Egyptian law is expressly clear and allows the Government to deport a citizen to his home country. The family are seeking an urgent meeting with the Irish Government to discuss the next steps.
Darragh Mackin of the Belfast-based KRW LAW, which represents Ibrahim, said: "For the trial to be reopened, and adjourned to October, is entirely insupportable.
"It is no secret we have serious concerns and reservations about the criminal justice process in Egypt. These concerns have manifested themselves in today's decision."
CAMPAIGN Sister Fatima in Dublin