Printer Friendly

Gun police lay siege to house after bloodbath.

ARMED police ringed a housing estate last night after a family feud erupted in bloody violence.

Siege positions were taken up after a man believed to have a gun locked himself in his home and ignored appeals to give up the weapon.

The stand-off followed an horrific battle with axes, knives and baseball bats which left seven men injured.

All were being treated in hospital last night, one with an axe stuck in the back of his head.

As police marksmen rushed to the Terriers estate in High Wycombe, Bucks, two helicopters hovered over the houses giving loudspeaker warnings to stay indoors.

It is believed members of two Asian families were involved in the hate war which flared in Sussex Close.

The bloodshed followed a brutal assault six weeks ago when a man had his legs broken.

As the wounded were tended by paramedics a man was seen with what appeared to be a gun enter a nearby house.

A siege expert was called in, as well as officers trained in race relations.

One witness said: "There has been a long feud between two Asian groups. The man carrying what was thought to be a gun locked himself in and refused to come out.

"It was frightening. Police were rushing up and down the estate telling people to get off the street and to lock themselves indoors.""

A Sunday Mirror reporter phoned the siege address and spoke to the man's 18-year-old son.

He said: "There are police outside. They have guns. A member of my family is involved. It's my dad. I'm sure it will be cleared up.

"I don't have a clue what is going on. I have been told nothing."

Police later said the siege ended when a man handed over a hand gun. It was fully loaded and had not been fired.

Sixteen people were under arrest last night.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1998 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Author:O'hanlon, Terry; Prince, Rosa
Publication:Sunday Mirror (London, England)
Date:Jun 7, 1998
Previous Article:Wilma home after three days on run.
Next Article:Your word is your overdraft.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters