Printer Friendly

Guide to treatment providers.

If you have symptoms of depression, ask your primary care physician for a referral to a mental health professional, or contact your insurance company about local providers. Mental health professionals include: Psychiatrists: Physicians (MDs) who specialize in mental disorders. They can prescribe medications and also treat with talk therapy.

Psychologists: Hold a doctorate degree (PhD, PsyD, or EdD) or master's degree in psychology. They can diagnose depression and treat with talk therapy. In most states, they cannot prescribe drugs.

Psychiatric nurses: Registered nurses (RN) or advanced registered nurse practitioners (ARNPs) trained in psychiatry. In some states, they can prescribe medications, but only under a doctor's supervision.

Social workers: Trained in psychotherapy. They work with a psychiatrist, primary care doctor, or nurse practitioner if patients need medication.

Therapists: a broad term for professionals who provide support to families, groups, or individuals. They may have some certification and licensure. Ask about their training in treating depression.

COPYRIGHT 2015 Belvoir Media Group, LLC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2015 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Women's Health Advisor
Date:Jan 1, 2015
Previous Article:Many medications can contribute to secondary hypertension: common prescription and over-the-counter drugs may raise your blood pressure.
Next Article:Eat more to weigh less: increase the volume of nutrient-rich, lower-calorie foods in your diet to feel more satisfied without feeling deprived.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters