Printer Friendly

Grave case of bodies 40ft deep; Huddersfield is struggling to find a site for a cemetery. About 160 years ago the borough had a similar problem, only worse. DAVID GRIFFITHS, a member of Huddersfield Local History Society, investigates.

Byline: DAVID GRIFFITHS

LAST week's news that it was 'back to the drawing board' in the search for a new Huddersfield cemetery site brought to mind the tortuous quest for what became Edgerton Cemetery. Then as now, the starting point was concern that the main existing burial facility - the parish churchyard - was full. Indeed the situation was far, far worse than anything faced today. As early as 1842 the sexton was warning the vicar, the Rev J Bateman, that he faced 'the utmost difficulty' in digging new graves without mutilating the bodies already there.

Bateman applied to the Ramsden estate, the ground landlords, to extend the site but got nowhere, and the situation continued to deteriorate.

By 1851 a Government inspector reported that there were 21 layers of bodies at St Peter's Church in the centre of Huddersfield, with nine burials per square yard. Corpses and coffins were piled 40 feet high - as the height of the churchyard above Kirkgate still testifies. Church windows were closed to keep out the stench. Serious discussions about a new site began in 1846, but foundered on tensions between Anglicans and Nonconformists. The latter wanted a non-denominational cemetery where their own ministers could take funerals; the vicar was determined not to lose the burial fees which flowed to the parish church.

By January 1847 negotiations had collapsed.

The Ramsdens were planning to erect a new Anglican church at Hillhouse, which would eventually become St John's, Birkby. At this stage the proposed site was on Halifax Old Road near King Cliff and there was talk of adding a new parish burial ground to this, running downhill to the Hebble Beck. From the start there were worries about flooding of graves (shades of today's debate about the Castle Hill site), and the site had to be changed when a branch railway to Halifax through the Grimescar valley was proposed.

By the end of 1847 the Hillhouse scheme had collapsed.

At this point one of the town's 'elder statesmen', John Sutcliffe JP, who had proposed the church rate but stood for tolerance in religious affairs, tried to break the deadlock.

He proposed a public cemetery funded by shareholders, and suggested two sites - on New North Road or at the top of Trinity Street.

The vicar soon accepted that a new Anglican burial ground was off the agenda, and pledged not to oppose a public cemetery, provided his rights were respected and any loss of his fees compensated. This put a spanner in the works, but at least the debate had restarted. The new Huddersfield Improvement Commissioners had been in business for a year by 1847, and embraced his challenge to take charge of the issue.

Vigorously led by their chairman, Joseph Brook JP of Greenhead, and clerk of works Joshua Hobson, they quickly reached agreement with Loch about the suitability of the Blacker Lane site, which would become Edgerton Cemetery. But it would take another six years before Edgerton opened. As the town's suburban growth got into its stride, the Ramsdens had second thoughts about whether a cemetery was the best use of valuable land, and suggested two alternatives, at Ashenhurst and Paddock. The Commissioners stuck to their guns.

Ashenhurst was outside Huddersfield parish and the ground was unsuitable; the Paddock site, at the bottom of Luck Lane, was far from town and would need a new access road through the grounds of Gledholt Hall.

For Hobson the issue of access was a key one - as it has become again in the current debate. He argued tirelessly that Edgerton was best because it could be readily reached from all parts of Huddersfield township - including Marsh, Deighton and Bradley - without the funeral processions having to pass through the narrow streets of the town.

The Ramsden estate decided it was best to give in graciously, and came up with a lower valuation.

An inquiry in 1851 considered two more sites offered by the Thornhill estate - again in the news recently, in connection with their development proposals for the Grimescar valley.

These were on each side of Halifax Road near Sunny Bank, roughly where Hungerford Road and Kaffir Road would be developed soon afterwards. William Lee, the inspector who conducted the inquiry, favoured the latter, but the Commissioners again preferred Blacker Lane. The site there was handed over by George Loch to Joseph Brook on September 15, 1852, but ecclesiastical and other difficulties delayed the cemetery's opening until October, 1855. The debates of the 1840s and the 2010s have both been driven by the exhaustion of existing facilities. Issues of access, ground conditions and flood risks have been common to both.

On top of that, the Victorians had to contend with denominational disputes, theological controversies and uncertain legal powers; but they had far more open land to look at.

They took 13 years to find a way through. Hopefully today's institutions can achieve a quicker result.

? David Griffiths is working on a biography of Joseph Brook JP (1787-1858) and would welcome any relevant information, at griffi.davidj@gmail.com Huddersfield Local History Society is on www.huddersfieldhistory.org.uk

CAPTION(S):

* FILLING UP: Even in 2007, when the above picture of Edgerton Cemetery was taken, very little room remained. The cemetery wouldn't have come into existence almost 160 years earlier if not for the efforts of Joseph Brook, JP and clerk of works Joshua Hobson, whose substantial memorials can still be seen (below) in the cemetery. (tmc310112brook, tmc310112hobs)
COPYRIGHT 2012 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2012 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Features
Publication:Huddersfield Daily Examiner (Huddersfield, England)
Date:Feb 1, 2012
Words:908
Previous Article:We'll respond well to Scots' passion.
Next Article:Carpetright alert.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters