* $72 million: Loss to the Bolivian economy, 1999 to 2004, after privatization of the oil and gas sector.
* $63.4 million: Unpaid mining royalties owed to Zambia from 2002 to 2004.
* 64: Percent of Zambian population that lives on less than $1 a day.
* $912.4 million: The mining industry's revenue in the Philippines in 2005.
* 1.9: Percent of taxes the mining industry paid to the Philippine government in 2005.
* 0.36: Percent of Philippine workforce employed in the mining industry.
Source: "A Rich Seam: Who Benefits from Rising Commodity Prices?" (Christian Aid, 2007); "A Statement on Mining Issues and Concerns" (Catholic Bishops" Conference of the Philippines, 2006).
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Date:||Jun 1, 2007|
|Previous Article:||Women's work: the better half of peacemaking.|
|Next Article:||'This land is home to me'.|
|Probing Kerry for punch lines.|
|Dunbar, Fiona. The Truth Cookie.|
|Busby, Baker, and the Ballerina: a parade of new releases on DVD.|