Printer Friendly

Go-ahead for storm-damaged historic pier to be demolished.

Byline: Tom Davidson Reporter newsdesk@walesonline.co.uk

ADISUSED historic pier damaged by winter storms is to be demolished.

Conwy councillors have given the go ahead to demolish the Victoria Pier in Colwyn Bay - which closed in 2008.

The pier, built in 1900, was damaged by Storm Doris in February. That saw a large section of the pier collapse into the sea after gusts of up to 94mph swept along the north Wales coast.

The pier had already partially collapsed into the sea earlier that month.

It had been the subject of a lengthy ownership battle before being bought by Conwy council.

Although councillors backed plans to dismantle the pier, there are steps being taken to redevelop a "truncated pier" in its place.

Councillors agreed designs for the truncated pier should be finalised and that any necessary approvals are sought and a tender for the redevelopment work be issued.

After the meeting, council chairman Brian Cossey said: "We're all aware of the deteriorating state of the pier; the collapse earlier this year confirmed the very real risk it poses to the public.

"The work to dismantle the remaining structure needs to be carried out in a safe, carefully planned and controlled manner, and following a thorough procurement process, today's decision means that we can finally award the contract to carry out that work."

Councillors also reiterated their continued support of Colwyn Victoria Pier Trust, as the trust develops proposals and funding applications for the future restoration and recreation of a more substantial, selfsufficient pier.

Mark Roberts, from Colwyn Victoria Pier Trust, said: "The trust welcomes the council's resolution to continue to support the trust in developing our proposals.

"We look forward to furthering our positive working relationship with Conwy County Borough Council.

"Without it, the trust would not have arrived at this juncture.

"The trust is greatly encouraged by this outcome today.

"It gives us confidence in moving forward."

Council officers hope the dismantling work will start in January and should take around three months.

The Victoria Pier has been in a state of ruin for years, and, in 2015, a judge said the pier was unsafe and in danger of collapsing into the sea at any moment.

It had been valued at "minus" PS600,000 to PS1m.

The pier was officially opened in 1900. It was just 316ft (96m) long and 40ft (12m) wide, and made up of a timber promenade deck with seating and railings along its length, and a 2,500-seat Moorish-style pavilion.

In 1903, the Victoria Pier Company decided to extend the neck to a length of 750ft (227m) to facilitate outdoor theatrical performances.

A 600-seat "Bijou" theatre was built at the pier head in 1917 for the purposes of light entertainment.

CAPTION(S):

Colwyn Bay's Victoria Pier, which was damaged by Storm Doris earlier this year, will be demolished and could be replaced by a 'truncated pier'

COPYRIGHT 2017 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2017 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Western Mail (Cardiff, Wales)
Date:Nov 11, 2017
Words:482
Previous Article:BBC stars give their backing to Equal Pay Day.
Next Article:New call for Coca-Cola truck to hand out water.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters