German GP firm failed to act after overdoses.
A firm which employed a German doctor who killed a pensioner on his first shift in Britain failed to take action over two previous incidents where patients were given overdoses, a damning report has said.
The private firm also failed to heed warnings by one of its most senior doctors that it was "only a matter of time" before a patient died.
An investigation found "serious failings" at every level on the handling of diamorphine - the drug which killed 70-year-old David Gray.
German doctor Daniel Ubani had slept for only a couple of hours the night before he gave Mr Gray ten times the normal dose of diamorphine, and later admitted being confused about the drug.
The report, from the Care Quality Commission, found Take Care Now "failed to recognise problems" which could have prevented Mr Gray's death.
It repeatedly failed to respond to alerts over the storage of diamorphine and similar drug morphine, and had far too few staff to run a competent out-of-hours service.
Independent Television News Limited 2010. All rights reserved.
Independent Television News Limited 2009. All rights reserved.
Provided by Syndigate.info an Albawaba.com company
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Independent Television News Limited (ITN)|
|Date:||Jul 16, 2010|
|Previous Article:||Marvellous McIlroy leads Open with round of 63.|
|Next Article:||Palin's teen daughter to marry.|