Printer Friendly

George Bennett, Naturalist: nothing shook the girl's loyalty to the Bushranger.


In the early 19th century a handsome young English medical man was tramping in the bush around Yass, Canberra and Tumut recording everything that interested him. Those that want to picture life in the Monaro in the second decade of British settlement cannot do better than to read the reminiscences of Dr. George Bennett. His 'Journal of a Naturalist' entitled Wanderings in New South Wales was first published in London In 1834 and has been reprinted in facsimile.


With his scientific training Bennett studied the birds and animals of the bush from the dingo to the flying squirrel, to the fish of the Murrumbidgee and the kangaroo and the mysterious platypus, and described what he saw with a vivid style. He recorded the marvelous definition of a clergyman as given by one of the Aborigines of the southern districts. 'He, white feller, belonging to Sunday, get uptop waddy, pile long corrobera all about debbil debbil, and wear shirt over trowsel'.

Dr. Bennett had an ear for a good story such as the tale of the bushranger and the Aboriginal girl. It is one of thee tragedies of early Ausralia that on the bush frontier of settlement the first Europeans encountered by the Aboriginal tribes were often of the lowest type, embittered, lonely convicts working as shepherds and labourers in the bush.

Bennett heard the story of a bushranger called Tallboy. It is not clear if this was a nickname or his real name. Tallboy had been a convict servant who had bolted for the bush, and was wanted for many atrocities by the police troopers. He had formed a relationship with a girl of the local Murrumbigee tribe but we do not know her name. In spite of the fact that he was often cruel to her, this girl hid Tallboy from the police with true native ingenuity that baffled those hunting for him. Nothing shook her loyalty to him.

While Tallboy lay low in a cunning hideout, deep in the scrub, the girl would hunt and fish to get food for them. She would even visit the stockkeeper's hut at different stations and whatever provisions she could scrounge she would take back to Tallboy in his hideout. The police with their trackers watched her carefully and again and again would try to follow her, but she was far too cunning for them and evaded them or led them on a wild goose chase.

On one occasion the bushranger was on the verge of capture and the police were closing in on his hideout. Thinking quickly, the Aboriginal girl boldly stepped out into the open and agreed to take them to Tallboy's place of concealment at a certain place miles away. She set off with the eager forces of law and order just behind. When the girl reached the designated spot there was of course no sign of the fugitive. Who was by this time well away.

Tallboy was eventually captured, according to Bennett, because he had ventured out of his hiding place once when the girl was absent getting food. He was taken to Sydney in chains and put on trial for his life. In spite of his earlier brutality to her the Aboriginal girl heard that he was in prison and wanted to go to him. Of course it was impossible.


Tallboy went to the gallows in Sydney and the girl was reclaimed by her tribe and forcibly given to another man. A local Murrumbidgee settler told Dr Bennett the sequel to the story. The girl became a very unwillingly wife of member of the local tribe. His word was law. One day he ordered her to follow him when she was too ill to stand up.

When she could not move he struck her a terrible blow with his axe. She was later found by a white settler unconscious on the ground. He took her back to the homestead where she was cared for until she died of her wound. She left a three year old boy by the convict bushranger Tallboy. No one seems to know what happened to the child.

There are many such tales on the Australian frontier. Many true stories have been forgotten or hidden by those who are descended from such relationships.

If the bushranger's real name was Tallboy it is possible that research in the convict records and early newspapers may uncover more information about him and even the name of the black girl who served him so loyally.

As well as his interest in Aboriginals George Bennett was also deeply interested in recording all that he could about the flora and fauna of the Monaro. For example he was impressed by the ability of the Australian native dog or Dingo to endure pain and agony without showing any signs of its suffering. He wrote that the cunning and endurance of those animals was almost beyond beyond belief and had it not been related by those whose testimony could be relied upon. He talked to a bushman who told him of a dingo that had been severely beaten that t was supposed that every bone in its body had been broken. The animal had been left on the ground for dead. The bushman who had 'killed it' walked some distance and accidentally happened to glance back. E was amazed to see 'master dingo rise, shake himself, march into the bush, evading all capture.'

George Bannett was one of Australia's great early naturalists. Born in England in 1804, he had an adventurous early career in many parts of the world and trained in medicine at the Royal College of Surgeons. While medical officer on a ship Sophie he first reached Sydney which was destined to be his eventual home.

In the New Hebrides Bennett collected the first complete specimen of the pearly nautilus which created a great stir among English scientists. His friend Richard (later Sir Richard) Owen wrote a scientific study of it which won him election to the Royal Society.

More romantically, Bennett became involved with Elau, a native girl from a bloody inter-tribal fight on Eromanga Island. He decided to take her back to England but the girl could not stand the English climate and died in 1834.

Bennett decided that he liked what he had seen of Australia and its fascinating forms of wildlife and returned in 1832 in the ship Brothers commanded by Captain Bobby Towns, who gave his name to Townsville.

Walking about the streets of Sydney he was impressed by its progress. It was spring and the trees and flowers of the Domain fascinated him, especially the trees that shed their bark. He was impressed that every home seemed to have a parrot in a cage t the front screeching and whistling of 'Pretty Polly' and 'Sweet Polly' made a din in the Sydney streets.

Bennett loved Alexander Macleay's beautiful gardens at Elizabeth Bay House, still a gem of colonial architecture in Sydney, though the gardens have now been swallowed up. He visited the small colonial Australian Museum; little guessing that he himself would become one of its greatest supporters and patrons.

In September 1832 Bennett set out with a companion on horseback on his first ramble into the interior, riding over the Blue Mountains and returning via the southern districts. On this trip he managed to secure his first specimens of platypus, among them a living female which he dug out of a burrow. Scientists were mystified by this marvelous creature and Bennett decided to take the female back to Sydney hoping it would give the answer whether the animal laid eggs.

When he started on horseback on his 200-mile ride home to Sydney the platypus was in the box. He looked after it with great care but one night at Mittagong the platypus got away. Later on Bennett secured two young ones and kept them in his Sydney rooms as pets. In one of his letters to Sir Richard Owen in London he writes while a young platypus plays about his room.

In November 1832 Bennett started on his second expedition to the southern districts. He travelled south through Mittagong, Goulburn and Yass to Tumut. He records much abut the snakes of the snakes of the district. At a farm called Gudarigby the property of Mr. Dutton on the Mrraumbidgee, these reptiles were very ommon. One had dropped from the roof onto a sleeping man's bed during the night. Bennett records that it caused the man to quit his bed and leave the reptile in undisturbed possession for the remainder of the night. In the morning a black snake, a metre long was found snug among the blankets.

He writes of the habits of the 'laughing or feathered jackass' and its ability to kill snakes. The natives at Yass called the bird 'gogera' or 'gogobera'. In a footnote in Bennett's book he mentions the English woman who declared of all the wonderful productions of Australia she thought that nothing could quite equal the 'feathered donkey'.

In the Tumut district he was fascinated by the 'bugong' moths and records that the explorer Hamilton Hume told him of the habits of these moths, forming the principal food of the Aborigines during the summer months. The Aborigines had gorged themselves on these insets leaving few specimens behind.. He saw the deserted bark huts which the Aborigines had temporarily erected when collecting the bogong moths for their feasts.

Bennett's book is almost a day-by-day account of his rambles and with the aid of an atlas and lists of early settlers, it would be possible by research to work out the exact route of his wanderings. He mentions every station visited and the name of the owner or overseer. For example on October 3 1832, he and his companion reached the farm owned by Mr. Reddal, where they stayed for the night and enjoyed the excellent ale brewed on the farm.

About noon the next day they reached Gonnong (Gunning?) a cattle station belonging to Mr. Kennedy of Apian. Their route was through beautiful open forest of picturesque beauty. Black and white cockatoos with an infinite variety of the parrot tribe such as ground parrots, enlivened the scene. Bennett spells Yass as Yas plains and records the interesting fact that the Aboriginal pronunciation was 'Yar plains'.

A fascinating article about Bennett in the Medical Journal of Australia of August 31, 1955 records details of long and distinguished career in Sydney as a medical practitioner and naturalist. Someone described him as the 'Nestor of Australian naturalists'.

Dr. Bennett died aged 89 years in 1893 in Sydney. He had been a dedicated book collector and bibliophile and it is a tragedy that his vast library was rejected by Sydney University and was dispersed by auction. Today he is little remembered but those who study his book of wanderings on the Monaro in southern New South Wales will find that he has preserved a vivid picture of the district in the first decades of recorded history.
COPYRIGHT 2010 Mulini Press
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2010 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Author:Willson, Robert
Publication:M A R G I N: life & letters in early Australia
Article Type:Biography
Geographic Code:8AUST
Date:Jul 1, 2010
Previous Article:Editorial.
Next Article:The enchanted garden: Elizabeth and her German garden.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |