GREENHEAD in the 1950s; LANDMARK: Violins and pastry at Greenhead High.
It was celebrating its 45th anniversary, having been founded in 1909, and in 1954 provided a good all-round education to about 500 girls. A new block, with four classrooms, a cloakroom and a dining room, was being built to replace the Longdenholme annex. A music lesson in progress (above) was photographed but the picture wasn't used in the Examiner, so we don't know the identities of the music teacher or the violinists.
Nor do we know the names of the fifth form pastry-cooks (below), though we know the girls were under the supervision of domestic science mistress Miss Z E Hull and were preparing for their domestic science GCEs in June.
SOMETHING COOKING: Greenhead High School pastry-makers in 1954 SOUND OF MUSIC: Greenhead High School girls demonstrate they have more than one string to their bows in June, 1954.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Huddersfield Daily Examiner (Huddersfield, England)|
|Date:||Jan 20, 2010|
|Previous Article:||LANDMARK:Languages,art andscienceatRoydsHall,1954.|
|Next Article:||Prize pupils.|