Printer Friendly

GP to challenge Trust.

A family doctor who has lost a lengthy battle to return to his Northumberland surgery is to challenge the decision by health bosses which threatens his career.

A three-person panel set up by the Northumberland Care Trust has decided Dr Jayanti Ghosh should be removed from its approved performers' list following an internal investigation into his conduct and medical practises.

The decision has come 18 months after Dr Ghosh was suspended by the Trust.

Yesterday Blyth Valley MP Ronnie Campbell ( who has been a leading supporter of the GP and has strongly criticised the Trust's handling of his case ( said Dr Ghosh has lodged an appeal with the Family Health Services Appeal Authority.

Mr Campbell said he will also be asking for a Department of Health inquiry into the way the Trust has dealt with the internal investigation and hearing which has decided Dr Ghosh's fate.

Dr Ghosh had been working under restrictions imposed by the General Medical Council for serious professional misconduct in 2002.

In 2004 he was cleared of three counts of indecent assault by Newcastle Crown Court but he was suspended in January last year after a civil tribunal upheld a complaint against him.
COPYRIGHT 2006 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2006 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Journal (Newcastle, England)
Date:Jul 26, 2006
Words:197
Previous Article:Ballet star at festival.
Next Article:Mercy plea fails to save paint protester.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |