Printer Friendly

Fun-loving dad dies from rare disease.

Byline: By Peter Taylor

Fun-loving family man Ernie Young looked forward all year to a holiday in Crete with his wife Sheila.

But on their first day in the resort of Stalis, happy-go-lucky Ernie was struck down by a rare disease from which he died just over three weeks later.

A British pathologist concluded the 56-year-old died from Budd-Chiari syndrome, a rare liver disorder that results from blood clotting in the veins flowing out of it.

Machine setter Mr Young, of Exeter Close, Ashington, Northumberland, had been looking forward to karaoke nights with his wife, also aged 56.

But instead he spent 18 days in hospital in the island's capital Heraklion before being flown back to the North East and admitted to Wansbeck General Hospital. He died after suffering a heart attack related to the disease.

Doctors in the Greek hospital found he had developed Hepatitis C. But pathologist Dr David Smith, at the Ashington hospital, concluded this was not linked to his death.

His post-mortem report said: "This man has died of an extremely rare and unusual complication of malignant disease, namely the acute Budd-Chiari syndrome.

"The cause of death is entirely natural."

His devastated wife said: "It is very, very rare.

"My doctor is going to go through it with me to try to help me understand it a bit more.

"I am still just getting my head around it.

"He was so young. We thought we would grow old together.

"I will just have to get used to being on my own.

"We love Greece and had been a few times before.

"We went off on holiday and on the first night his stomach swelled up.

"He was 18 nights in hospital there and I visited him every day.

"The doctors in Crete were brilliant but they didn't know where all the fluid was coming from.

"He just swelled up with fluid."

Ernie died the day before the 31st anniversary of his wedding to Sheila.

The couple had two daughters, Julie, 35, and Sarah, 30.

Along with his mother, Dorothy, 84, they are all devastated by the loss of the fun-loving former Navy medic, who loved nothing better than a karaoke night at which he could sing his favourite song Rhinestone Cowboy.

He died after the high pressure of blood in the veins from his liver led to an enlarged liver and to an accumulation of fluid in the abdomen, called ascites.

Coroner Ian McCreath recorded a verdict of death by natural causes at an inquest on Mr Young held at Morpeth.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2006 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Evening Chronicle (Newcastle, England)
Date:Dec 13, 2006
Previous Article:Puppet event.
Next Article:Private hospital online.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |