Printer Friendly

Fulham's season is up and running.

NSI Runavik Ftowards further Europa League success with a comfortable victory against Faroese minnows NSI Runavik in Martin Jol's first match at the helm.

Damien Duff, Danny Murphy Andrew Johnson netted the all-important goals at Craven Cottage as the west Londoners look to repeat their run to final in 2010.

While a further 22 matches still stand between them and another appearance in the finale, Fulham already seem have dispatched NSI with a clinical display in the first leg of their qualifying round clash.

Heading into the tie, recently-appointed former Tottenham boss Jol sprang something of a surprise by naming strongest possible starting line-up.

with experience.

Murphy skippered the Whites and likes of Brede Hangeland, Bobby Zamora and former Newcastle winger Duff were included in the starting line-up.

The home side started strongly within the opening minute Johnson came close to breaking the deadlock, Helgi Petersen blocked well after neat build-up play by Murphy and Zamora.

struggled to get out of second gear past NSI's backline.

Zamora attempted a neat header the quarter-hour mark as Fulham looked to break the deadlock, while Johnson's pace continued to threaten the Faroese side's defence.

Duff was unfortunate not to net game's first goal in the 23rd minute, twisting and turning on the edge of box before unleashing a right-footed drive that went just wide of the far post.

Middlesbrough keeper Mark Schwarzer unawares and bounced just wide.

The long-range drive seemed to spur Jol's side into life and - after some nice play down the left-hand side - Duff thumped home the opening goal from inside the 18-yard box.

The Republic of Ireland international's 33rd-minute effort did not open floodgates, although NSI goalkeeper Andras Gango was forced to tip over smartly from a curling free-kick from Zamora on the stroke of half-time.

Fulham returned from the break reinvigorated and the visitors were forced to deal with a barrage of attacks from offset.

Gango palmed away efforts from Johnson, Hangeland and Zamora shortly after the restart, before the latter and Duff blazed wide.

Despite NSI's resilience, however, home support did not have to wait long for a second goal after Petersen upended Gango was called into action again moments later, with Johnson forcing Hungary-born goalkeeper into a save. However, the NSI goalkeeper could nothing about the Cottagers' third goal Johnson wriggled free in the box angled a shot into the bottom left-hand corner. The 30-year-old saw another effort the bar shortly after, before Jol rang changes in a bid to freshen his side up Lauri Dalla Valle.

Murphy attempted a speculative effort to get the 14,910 fans on their feet again but Fulham were left with a three-goal lead ahead of next week's second leg. FULHAM: Schwarzer, Baird, Hangeland, Hughes, Briggs, Davies (Riise 69), Murphy, Etuhu (Sidwell 73), Duff, Andrew Johnson, Zamora (Dalla Valle 79). Subs (not used): Stockdale, Kelly, Senderos, Greening.

Goals: Duff 33, Murphy 61 pen, Andrew Johnson 70. NSI RUNAVIK: Gango, Jens Joensen, Mortensen (Magnus Olsen 86), Justinus Hansen, Klaemint Olsen (Liknargotu 90), Helgi Lamhauge Petersen, Lakjuni, Mikkelsen, Frederiksberg, Debes Danielsen (Fredriksberg 78), Christian Hogni Jacobsen. Subs (not used): Kristian Joensen, Sorensen.

-Booked: Helgi Lamhauge Petersen. Referee: Bernhard Brugger (Austria) Att: 14,910
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2011 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Sport
Publication:The Journal (Newcastle, England)
Date:Jul 1, 2011
Previous Article:Police hunt armed man.
Next Article:Brothers in court over death.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |