Fresh hope for victims of abuse.
Kevin Young, 49, who grew up on Tyneside but now lives in York, was one of five inmates who was abused by Husband in 1977 while serving a sentence at Medomsley Detention Centre in Consett.
Husband, who became a church minister, was jailed for eight years in 2003. Mr Young also claims he was abused at a residential Catholic school in Tadcaster, between 1974 and 1976.
Previously, sexual abuse victims were prevented from bringing a claim more than six years after the offence or, in child abuse cases, more than six years after the victim reached 18. Beyond the age of 24, the victims were therefore no longer able to file successfully.
But in a test case, Law Lords told Mr Young along with one of Lotto rapist Iorworth Hoare's victims, known as Mrs A, that they now have a right to pursue damages against their attackers.
Mr Young's solicitor David Greenwood, estimated there are 6,000 child sex abuse cases lodged with solicitors, 90% of which are beyond the time limit.
He said: "It's extremely good news for the thousands of claimants whose cases have either not been heard or who haven't yet plucked up enough courage to come forward and complain of abusive treatment.
"The guidance the law has given is that, providing a claimant can prove that the abuse took place - that a conviction has been secured or there is a substantial amount of credible evidence - then he should be allowed to make his claim."
Mrs A was 59 when Hoare - who had previously subjected six other women to serious sexual assaults, including rape - attacked her as she walked in Roundhay Park, Leeds, in February 1988.
VILE PERVERT: Neville Husband
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Evening Chronicle (Newcastle, England)|
|Date:||Jan 31, 2008|
|Previous Article:||HOTEL BLAZE CHAOS; Major road closed by fire.|
|Next Article:||Terror man in alleged boiling oil jail attack; Hitch stops trial of bomb plotter for scalding fellow inmate.|