French military deployment for domestic security now at 13,000 troops.
PARIS, Aug 9 (KUNA) -- The French military increased deployments of troops on domestic security and guard duties, bringing the total number of forces in this capacity to 13,000, Defence Minister Florency Parly said on Friday. In a statement, Parly indicated that 700 more troops had been mobilised since last month to take part in "Operation Sentinel", which provides mobile anti-terrorist security and fixed guard units throughout the country. After the 2015 terror attacks that killed over 200 people here, military patrols were beefed up on the streets, near tourist attractions, cultural events and at transport hubs and government buildings to prevent more attacks by groups or individuals alleging to be under the orders of the so-called Islamic State terror group. Around 10,000 soldiers were immediately mobilised for those missions in 2015. The Minister said in the statement that there were now 13,000 troops assigned to domestic operations and that they would remain in place for the summer season. Troops have also been called upon to assist fire services in the forest fires that took place mainly in southern France some days ago. The additional security forces will also be deployed to provide protection for major political events in France in the coming weeks, among them the G7 summit in Biarritz at the end of August. France currently presides the G7 group and the Biarritz summit will bring together leaders from the US, Canada, Japan, Italy, Britain, Germany and indeed France. Parly also said that there were 30,000 French troops currently mobilised for all missions at home and abroad, with some 6,000 deployed outside of France at the present time. Over 4,000 are operating against terrorist groups in the Sahel region in "Operation Burkhane," which includes Chad, Niger, Burkina Faso, Mali and Mauritania. Several hundred French soldiers are serving with the UNIFIL force in Lebanon and France has deployed forces in the UAE, Jordan and advisors in Iraq as part of Coalition operations against IS since 2014. (end) jk.mb
All KUNA right are reserved [c] 2019. Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. ( Syndigate.info ).
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Kuwait News Agency (KUNA)|
|Date:||Aug 10, 2019|
|Previous Article:||HH Crown Prince receives call from Abu Dhabi Crown Prince.|
|Next Article:||White House hosts meeting with tech leaders in wake of mass shootings.|