Frank Bruno slapped with six-month driving ban for over speeding.
London, January 8 (ANI): Boxing champ Frank Bruno has been banned from driving for six months for racing through a town at nearly twice the speed limit.
The English veteran, who had dominated 40 of his 45 contests, had been caught on camera while he stepped on the gas hitting the 53mph mark in the 30mph zone.
The 47-year-old, who has had a series of driving convictions, alleged not seeing "any signs saying 30mph" as he drove his 100,000 pound Rolls-Royce, adding that the May 2008 incident had been "an honest mistake".
His lawyer Gary Bromelow argued that his client was unable to see the streetlights or speed signs since they were masked by a row of trees, reports the Daily Express.
The Milton Keynes Magistrates' Court further heard that a driving ban would make it impossible for the ex heavyweight champion to pay a visit to his kids, living 60 miles away, or attend any charity events.
However, chairman of the bench Martyn Griffiths told Bruno: "You are a man of sufficient means to employ a driver or take taxis."
The celebrity was slapped with a six-month driving ban, along with a 400-pound fine.
He was also ordered to pay 455 pounds as legal costs and a 15-pound surcharge after pleading guilty at a previous hearing. (ANI)
Copyright 2008 Asian News International (ANI) - All Rights Reserved.
Provided by Syndigate.info an Albawaba.com company
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Asian News International|
|Date:||Jan 9, 2009|
|Previous Article:||Model Christie Brinkley, ex hubby in new custody 'breach' fued.|
|Next Article:||Exhausted dad Pete Wentz says he 'pops Ambien like Skittles'.|