A total of $3,650 was distributed from the MTNA FOUNDATION FUND to nine local associations in 2007. Associations receiving grants are:
* Tulsa Accredited Music Teachers Association, Oklahoma
* Chattanooga Music Teachers Association, Tennessee
* Lincoln County Oregon Music Teachers, Oregon
* Mankato Area MTA, Minnesota Valley MTA, Sioux Valley MTA, Minnesota
* Greater Pittsburgh Chapter of PMTA, Pennsylvania
* Central Pennsylvania MTA, Pennsylvania
* Lincoln Music Teachers Association, Nebraska
* Okanogan County Chapter of Washington State MTA, Washington
* Lancaster Music Teachers Association, Pennsylvania
The MTNA FOUNDATION FUND awards these annual grants to provide assistance to MTNA-affiliated local associations and newly established or currently forming affiliated locals for the education and professional development of teachers and for the promotion of music in the immediate community.
Any MTNA-affiliated local may apply. Projects funded include clinics, master classes, seminars, educational workshops to prepare for certification examinations, community outreach projects and projects promoting interaction between local associations and collegiate chapters, area colleges or other musical or arts organizations.
Applications and guidelines for the 2008 grant program will be available September 4, 2007. The deadline for receiving completed applications will be February 1, 2008. Recipients will be announced at the 2008 MTNA National Conference in Denver, Colorado, in March and will receive funds no later than May 1.
MTNA Teacher Enrichment Grant Recipients
Sixteen teachers received grants this year from the MTNA FOUNDATION FUND. A total of $13,725 was awarded to recipients to help fund continuing education and professional development projects. This year's grants were awarded to:
* Julianne Ensley, McDonough, Georgia
* Barbara Heckenslively, Nine Mile Falls, Washington
* YiYi Ku, Wading River, New York
* Pamela Lam, San Gabriel, California
* Beverly Henkel, Lynchburg, Virginia
* Autumn Hansen, St. Paul, Minnesota
* Deborah Rodgers, West Chester, Pennsylvania
* Maura Hall, Saratoga, New York
* Brenda Hohman, Austin, Texas
* Birgit Matzerath, Concord, New Hampshire
* Ellen Gossett, Midland, Texas
* Natalie Lerch, Seattle, Washington
* Kristofer Olsen, Redwood Falls, Minnesota
* Katherine Sargent, Dallas, Texas
* Elizabeth Nagel, Salt Lake City, Utah
* Carla Cleavinger, Vernal, Utah
Teacher Enrichment Grants may be used for private study, college-level course work or special projects in performance, pedagogy, music theory and composition. The grant is not intended to be used to pursue course work toward a degree, for travel funds or for ongoing projects. However, a grant may be approved for one additional year at the discretion of the Teacher Enrichment Grant Evaluation Committee. The number of grants awarded in any year is determined by the number of qualified applicants and available funds.
Grant applications and guidelines for 2008 will be available September 4, 2007. Applications are due in the MTNA national headquarters office postmarked no later than January 10, 2008, and grant recipients will be announced at the 2008 MTNA National Conference in Denver, Colorado, in March. Funds are distributed no later than May 1.
State Affiliate Grant Awarded
One State Affiliate Matching Grants was awarded in 2007. These grants are awarded to state affiliates to enhance professional and education development of its members, as well as creating innovative programs that will promote and enhance music, music education and music technology through the state.
The state affiliate receiving a grant is the Pennsylvania Music Teachers Association.
Incentive Giving Campaign Winners
Congratulations to the North Dakota Music Teachers Association (NDMTA), Delaware Music Teachers Association (DMTA) and the California Association of Professional Music Teachers (CAPMT) for winning the MTNA FOUNDATION FUND State Incentive Giving Campaign. The campaign is based on individual member-giving to the FOUNDATION FUND in 2006, and winners are selected in four categories.
Thank you to all the state chairs and others who work diligently to promote and support the FOUNDATION in their states.
Highest Percentage of Members Contributing 1. North Dakota 20.48% 2. Maine 16.22% 3. Utah 14.29% 4. New Mexico 14.18% 5. Vermont 12.73% Highest Percentage of Members Contributing $25 or More 1. Delaware 7.59% 2. Maine 6.76% 3. Hawaii 6.73% 4. New Mexico 6.72% 5. North Dakota 6.02% Highest Dollar Amount Contributed to the General Fund 1. California $7,390.75 2. Illinois 2,357.00 3. Texas 2,050.00 4. Washington 1,795.58 5. Michigan 1,505.50 Highest Dollar Amount Contributed to the General Fund and Endowment Fund Combined 1. California $7,690.75 2. Nebraska 2,970.00 3. Washington 2,820.58 4. Michigan 2,505.50 5. Pennsylvania 2,431.25
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||Association News|
|Publication:||American Music Teacher|
|Date:||Jun 1, 2007|
|Previous Article:||West Central Division.|
|Next Article:||Professional certification: the portfolio option: a timeline for success.|