Forte for Java, release 3.0. (Internet Focus).
Sun have also contributed seven modules to netbeans.org, The Forte for Java IDE is built on the NetBeans platform.
Forte for Java, Enterprise Edition Forte for Java, release 3.0, Enterprise Edition supports the building and deployment of J2EE applications on leading application servers. In addition, the integration between the Forte for Java lie and the iPlanet
Application Server has been enhanced to support the development of enterprise Java applications as well as Web services. The lie allows developers to target the iplanet Application Server and optimize their applications for performance, scalability and high availability. A new Web services module provides automatic binding of Java technology and XML through intuitive wizards, generates Java code that supports run-time access and execution of services, and supports Web-based publishing to a services registry.
The product also supports the Java 2 Platform, Micro Edition (J2ME), to build applications and services that can be accessed via the Web, mobile devices, or personal digital assistants. Through the Forte for Java Extension Partner Program, companies are developing innovative modules that extend the Forte for Java environment to provide support for SOAP, UDDI, WSDL, and UML modeling.
New Modules Contributed to Open Source Sun also contributed code from seven modules to the open source project, netbeans.org. The NetBeans platform is an extensible, cross-platform, cross-language IDE that forms the basis for Sun's Forte for Java IDE. The open source modules include:
* External Editor - Enables developers to seamlessly integrate the popular XEmacs and vi editors into the NetBeans IDE. The External Editor module also offers a generic API that allows other editors to be integrated into the IDE, giving developers the option of using an editor they are already comfortable with.
* CIC++/Fortran support -, Allows developers to compile and execute Fortran, C and C++ code, including syntax highlighting and makefile support. The module makes it easier for users of Forte Developer (~ sun.com/forteldeveloper), the leading C/C++/Fortran language development environment for the Solaris(tm) Operating Environment (OE).
* XML Support - Provides support for XML, including syntax highlighting, code completion, validation, DTD generation and logical editing of XML documents.
* Database Explorer - Brings functionality previously found almost exclusively in mid-tier commercial IDEs into the free, open source NetBeans IDE. This module allows developers to browse and manipulate live databases and generate JDBC code to rapidly write database aware client- and server-side code.
* CORBA Support - Enables rapid development and testing of applications that use the Common Object Request Broker (CORBA) architecture. It includes support for editing and syntax highlighting of IDL files, CORBA service browsing, and other features to enhance developer productivity.
* File Copy - Supports deployment of applications and files via Interact File Transfer Protocol and highlights the usefulness of the NetBeans platform as a teaching tool. The module was developed as a student project at Czech Technical University in cooperation with Sun.
* Terminal Emulation - Adds terminal support, enabling enhanced interaction with external processes such as compilation and build operations.
With the 3.0 release, the Forte for Java IDE is now available in an Enterprise Edition and Community Edition. Most of the modules and features from Forte for Java, Interact Edition are now in Forte for Java, Community Edition. Sun also plans to submit Forte for Java, release 3.0 for J2EE certification and will issue a service pack for current customers in November that would make the product fully J2EE compliant. J2EE certification would make Forte for Java, release 3.0 one of the first leading Java IDEs to be recognized with the `J2EE Compatible' brand -- which ensures portability of the Java platform across multiple tools and runtime environments, www.sun.com Forte for Java, release 3.0 is available now via download at www.sun.com/forte.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||Sun Microsystems|
|Publication:||Database and Network Journal|
|Article Type:||Product Announcement|
|Date:||Dec 1, 2001|
|Previous Article:||7M Aspire 2.0. (Internet Focus).|
|Next Article:||The philosophy of .NET. (A Revelation of .NET).|