Printer Friendly

Former music industry chief leapt to his death.

A FORMER music tycoon who helped to launch the 80s pop group Wham! killed himself after his life spiraled out of control, an inquest heard.

Shamsi Ahmed, 50, was tortured by memories of killing a teenager in a road crash and haunted by the ending of his once-glittering career.

An inquest has revealed how he plunged from an upper storey of a 10-floor tower block in Newcastle's West End, having battled mental health problems.

The inquest in Newcastle heard how he turned to alcohol and was jailed after he knocking over a teenager.

He already had two convictions for drink-driving at the time his car hit and killed 16-year-old David Ross on Christmas Eve, 2003, as he rode his moped in Cramlington, Northumberland.

He was jailed for five-and-a-half years, but on his release struggled emotionally as he battled his bipolar condition.

On February 4 this year he threw himself to his death from the top of Cruddas Park House.

The inquest into Mr Ahmed's death heard statements from horrified eye-witnesses.

A postmortem examination discovered small traces of prescribed drugs, but no alcohol or recreational drugs.

Assistant Deputy Coroner Karen Dilks said: "This is a tragic case. Shamsi Ahmed was 50 years of age and had a history of involvement with psychiatric services. The deceased took his own life whilst the balance of his mind was disturbed."
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2011 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Journal (Newcastle, England)
Date:Aug 29, 2011
Previous Article:Tea-drinkers splutter at changes to their cuppa; New Earl Grey is branded 'horrid'.
Next Article:A bike de triomph; Quartet complete Newcastle-Paris charity ride in five days.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters