Printer Friendly

Form 1099: who do I send it to?

Time to send 1099s--or not. Here's a quick refresher on who to send your form 1099s to:

If you use the IRS Combined Federal/State Filing Program you only have to file once. The IRS will forward the information provided on the following forms to FTB:1099-B, 1099-DIV, 1099-G, 1099-INT, 1099-K, 1099-MISC, 1099-OID, 1099-PATR, 1099-R, 5498.

You are still responsible to file the following IRS information returns with FTB: 1098, 1098-E, 1098-T, 1099-A, 1099-C, 1099-LTC, 1099-Q, 1099-S.

In general, the penalty for each failure to file an information return with the IRS or the FTB is $50, with an annual maximum of $250,000. If the failure is due to intentional disregard, the penalty is the greater of $ 100 or 10 percent of the total amount of the items that should have been reported with no maximum. Penalties may be waived for reasonable cause.

Learn more at taxnews/2016/February/08.shtml.

COPYRIGHT 2016 California Society of Certified Public Accountants
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2016 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:California CPA
Date:Mar 1, 2016
Previous Article:TPRs and Form 571-L, business property statements.
Next Article:Money talk: what to do about financial literacy in America.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters