Printer Friendly

Football: A SUD END FOR SWIFTS; UEFA CUP: FK Suduva 4 Dungannon 0 (SUDUVA WIN 4-1 ON AGG) Dungannon crash to Euro defeat in Lithuania.


THE scoreline may suggest they were outclassed - but new Dungannon Swifts recruit Mark Magennis believes the County Tyrone side sur rendered a golden opportunity against FK Suduva last night.

Dungannon had gone into yesterday's second leg Uefa Cup clash boasting a 1-0 advantage from the first leg.

But FK Suduva drew level on aggregate courtesy of Guidas Grigas' simple finish in the 29th minute.

And it was game, set and match in the second-half when Andrius Urbsys scored twice in quick succession after the break and completed a hat-trick late on.

Not even the sending-off of Brazilian Oliveira with the score locked at 1-0 could turn the tide in Dungannon's favour.

It was a disappointing night for Swifts manager Harry Fay, but Magennis - a summer signing from Linfield - believes the Stangmore Park club can take some positives from its first ever appearance in the Uefa Cup.

"In the first-half we gave them as good as we got," he said. "We were doing OK and kept them out the first 20 minutes. Conceding that first goal on the half hour mark was a real blow.

"Even after conceding, though, I felt we had a chance, but a poor 10 minutes at the start of the second period killed us off."

And what of the advantage of playing against 10-men after Oliveira was flashed a straight red card for apparently hitting Shane McCabe?

"Playing against 10 men didn't develop into the kind of factor it can," said Magennis.

"We did have a man advantage in the second-half, but those two goals at the start of the second period were huge blows."

Braga had gone close for Suduva early on when his free-kick was cleared by Adam McMinn, before Dungannon crafted chances of their own.

The Swifts twice went close to scoring a priceless away goal in the ninth minute, but Shea Campbell's cross eluded Terry Fitzpatrick and Shane McCabe also failed to find the lurking Mark McAllister.

It was 1-0 to Suduva in the 29th minute Grigas tapped home after Dwayne Nelson had parried Juska's low drive.

Oliveira then received his marching just before Urbsys put the game out of sight when he rounded a helpless Nelson in the 51st and fired home his second just five minutes later.

Urbsys completed his hat-trick with seven minutes remaining before Campbell and Mark McConkey went close for Dungannon in the dying minutes.

DUNGANNON: Nelson, Curran, McMinn, Hegarty (McManus 64), G Fitzpatrick, Gallagher, McConkey (Baron 82), McCabe, T Fitzpatrick (Magennis 64), Campbell, McAllister. Subs not used: McGinn, McCaffrey and Heffernan.


NO WAY THROUGH: Mark McAllister and Dungannon's Euro dream died in Suduva; GUTTED: Harry Fay
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2007 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Sport
Publication:The Mirror (London, England)
Date:Aug 3, 2007
Previous Article:Football: WINDSOR MOURNS 'LINFIELD LEGEND'.
Next Article:Football: HEART-AIK FOR GLENS; AIK 4 GLENTORAN 0 (AIK win 9-0 on aggregate).

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters