Printer Friendly

Football: Prestatyn start to open big gap; CYMRU ALLIANCE.

Prestatyn Town 3

Llanfair PG 1

A SIXTH straight league win for Prestatyn gives them a massive 15-point lead at the top of the Cymru Alliance.

Llanfairpwll started the better and had a goal disallowed before the Seasiders edged in front on 26 minutes through Ian Griffiths.

And Griffiths made it 2-0 on 41 minutes with a stunning strike from the corner of the area while Bowes made it three before the break.

Ian Burgess grabbed a late consolation strike for the islanders, firing home from a Jason Harvey cross.

Glan Conwy 1

Llandudno Town 2

LLANDUDNO Town avoided a potential banana-skin result in their North Wales Coast Challenge Cup tie at Glan Conwy.

Welsh Alliance hosts Glan Conwy held their own in the first half and even took the lead through Ashley Smith on 13 minutes.

But the outcome hinged on two goals by Grant Montgomery, after 62 minutes and eight minutes later, the winner being set up by a cross from the right by Lee Thomas to ensure Town make it through to the next round of the competition.

Bala Town 3

Ruthin Town 0

BALA Town returned to winning formafter a recent barren spell to keep their flag flying in the North East Wales Challenge Cup as they look for yet even more success in the competition.

Mark Griffiths provided the home side with an interval advantage against their Cymru Alliance rivals Ruthin Town.

But a brace of goals from the penalty spot from Bala's Huw Price settled the issue as a contest later in the second period and ensured Bala go into the next round of the competition.

Chirk AAA 2

Gresford Athletic 6

LOWLY Cymru Alliance outfit Gresford Athletic lifted their spirits as they roared back to turn the tables on their Welsh National League hosts Chirk AAA to secure an extra-time victory in the NE Wales Challenge Cup.

Chirk had led 2-1 at one stage through Anthony Jones and AdamBradshaw, but hat-tricks from Ian Mathias and defender Max Peate, with three headed goals from set-pieces, provided a dramatic turn around to see Athletic safely through to the next round of the competition in dramatic fashion.

Llanidloes Town 1

Guilsfield 6

BEN WHITE fired a hat-trick as Guilsfield cruised into the fourth round of the Central Wales Cup with victory over struggling Llanidloes.

Gareth Jones bagged a brace, his first a fine 22-yarder to ensure safe passage.

Tim Nunnerley also found the back of the net while Llanidloes grabbed a consolation strike with new signing Jake Carey firing home from the edge of the box.

Denbigh Town 3

Halkyn United 2

HOT Cymru Alliance favourites Denbigh had to recover from 2-0 down to see off the brave challenge of Welsh Alliance strugglers Halkyn in their North Wales Coast Challenge Cup first-round tie.

Jack Abraham opened the scoring on 31 minutes and Damien Ketley added a second after 43 minutes to put the visitors two-up at the half-way mark of the clash.

But a Mike Lundstram double, firing home on 58 and 73 minutes, as well as a last-minute strike from Kenny Burgess ensured Denbigh will host Pwllheli in the quarter-finals.

Bethesda Athletic 3

Llandyrnog United 0

BETHESDA Athletic extended their superb run of formas the Welsh Alliance title front-runners knocked out Cymru Alliance outfit Llandyrnog United in a no-nonsense North Wales Coast Challenge Cup encounter.

Gareth Davies provided a spectacular start for the home side, skipping past two defenders to blaze into the net from 20 yards on 25 minutes.

And Richard Owen killed off the visitors and the clash with a pair of close-range goals on 65 minutes and another 10 minutes later to make sure of the giant-killing act.

Buckley Town 4

GAP Queens Park 8

The goals flowed as Queens Park powered through helped by a hat-trick from former Buckley favourite Kevin Breeze.

Gap, who won 7-0 in the league a few weeks back, never looked back after going six goals up after just 25 minutes in their NE Wales Challenge Cup tie with Dave Evans, Ashley Wilson, Colin Quirk and a Paul Brunt brace helping to seal the win.

Buckley gained some respectability through Ben Chamberlain, Miles Todd, Rob Williams and Mike Cunningham, but it was never going to be enough.

Mynydd Isa 3

Lex XI 2

TWO goals from SamPugh helped Mynydd Isa book a place in the next round of the NE Wales Challenge Cup with a narrow verdict.

Pugh, with a long-range effort, and Simon Hulse, from the penalty spot, had the hosts in charge but a lob from Gary Penlington gave Lex some kind of hope.

After the break, Pugh doubled his account but Penlington set up a tight finish with a second for the visitors who had Simon Richards dismissed for his second caution late on.

Carno 0

Penrhyncoch 1

CHRIS WILKINS bagged the game's only goal as Penrhyncoch were made to battle for their place in the fourth round of the Central Wales Cup.

Carno gave a good account of themselves, but the tie's decisive moment came in the second period when Wilkins nipped in to score after the hosts had failed to clear a rebound following a fine save from goalkeeper Greg Harries.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2008 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Sport
Publication:Daily Post (Liverpool, England)
Geographic Code:4EUUK
Date:Jan 7, 2008
Previous Article:Rugby Union: Mark try has Cofis well out in front; RUGBY UNION RND-UP.
Next Article:Football: Pritchard is spot on; WELSH PREMIER Penalty save gifts Nomads three points.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters