Football: Moyes is still keen on Davis.
DAVID MOYES has insisted Sean Davis remains his number one target -despite the midfielder withdrawing a transfer request at Fulham.
Davis yesterday surprisedEverton by announcing he wanted to stay with theCottagers and is keen to open negotations on anew contract with theclub.
The 24-year-old was poised to join the Blues in a pounds 5.2million deal in August,only for the transfer to be scrapped at the last minute when it became apparent the player would not pass a medical.
Davis returned to Fulham to recover from a knee ligament injury,after whichMoyes was expected to make a fresh move when the transfer window reopens in the new year.
But the Blues boss has insisted that Davis' surprise announcement will not deter him from pursuing his first-choice midfield reinforcement.
``It has made no difference to our plans,'' saidMoyes. ``But I can't do anything about it. He's not at my club, so I can't do anything about it.
``We tried to bring Sean in during the summer time but it didn't materialise.
``I would haved one had it not been for an injury. But we just have to carry on with things now.
``We have watchedallhis reserve games to seehow's he done as he recovers from his injury. The most important thing is that Sean gets himself backfit.
``When we wanted to make the transfer, he wouldn't have passed a medical and we didn't want to take that risk with the money we were paying. I hope he does get fit because he's a terrific player and, yes,I would like him here.''
Although he remains determined to capture Davis,Moyes has revealed the Blues are keeping a watching brief on other potential new signings,despite the lack of substantial transfer funds at present.
``We have kept our eyes on other targets,but the board has told me that there isn't any money right now,''added the Scotsman.
``Everton are a club which will always keep progressing and my job is to keep the club moving forward.
``That can come in different ways. It can come by bringing in new players, a new stadium, the position of the club and how they are doing,lots of ways.
``From my point of view, we would always look to try and strengthen the squad at every available opportunity.''
Davis told yesterday how his time on the sidelines recovering from injury had given him the chance to reassess his future with Fulham.
The Londoners have made a good start to the season under new boss Chris Coleman, but have lost their last two home league games and were beaten 2- 1 by Liverpool at the weekend.
But Davis said: ``During the time. I have been recovering from my injury I have had the opportunity to discuss my future with the manager. He has made it clear to me that not only does he see me as an important part of his plans but I also believe the club can move forward.
``I have been involved with Fulham since I was 16 andI am grateful for all the support I have received which has helped me become the player I am today.
``I think that because I had been here for a long time. I felt I needed to move or be part of another club to realise my ambitions as a player. I now think that. I can realise those same ambitions here at Fulham.''
Coleman had previously indicated that Davis was on his way out at Fulham.
WANTED: Fulham's SeanDavis
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Daily Post (Liverpool, England)|
|Date:||Nov 8, 2003|
|Previous Article:||Football: Ferguson has great expectations.|
|Next Article:||Football: Fan SCENE: Live TV can't beat the buzz of terrace fever.|