Printer Friendly

Football: Dynamo shocker for Town.

Grantham Town . 2 Shepshed Dynamo 4 SHEPSHED produced one of the shocks of the round to march into tomorrow's draw.

Their hero was four-goal striker Chris Henson on a nightmare day for Grantham boss Dave Norton.

Grantham made a lightning start with Shepshed keeper Richard Keeling forced to make an excellent early save with his feet with two efforts being cleared off the line.

But Henson had already given warning of his goal threat before latching on to a 38th-minute long ball and rounding keeper Mario Zaccardi to give Shepshed the lead.

Two minutes later it was 2-0 as Jason Knight fed Henson who shot from a tight angle defeating the keeper at the near post.

Shepshed were in dreamland eight minutes after the break whenan excellent pass fromWez Armstrong allowed Henson to complete his hat-trick with a neat lob.

Adrian Speed pulled a goal back with a free header from a corner just a minute later, but there was to be no reprieve for the home side.

Henson scored his fourth with a minute to go after good work by Paul Gamble and an injury time penalty from Darren Collins was scant consolation for Grantham. Rugby United . . . 2 Hednesford Town 2 A CONTROVERSIAL climax saw Hednesford come back from the dead to force a replay after a visiting supporter had come on to the pitch and confronted Rugby keeper Jason Pearcey.

And things got even worse for the obviously rattled Pearcey when he was sent off following a rumpus after the Pitmen's late equaliser.

United looked to have booked their place in the next round thanks to two Robbie Beard strikes within the space of seven second half minutes.

Beard volleyed home at the back post in the 69th minute before finishing off a flowing move with a simple tap-in to double the home sides lead.

But just a minute after the fan had made his one-man pitch protest, Andy Bell gave the Pitmen a lifeline when he slid the ball home in the 83rd minute.

Two minutes later the Pitmen were awarded a second penalty when Pearcey was penalised for pushing. Leon McSweeney converted and Pearcey was shown the red card in a goalmouth spat as the ball was retrieved from the net.

The main talking point of a goalless opening half at Butlin Road was Bell's penalty miss for the Pitmen.

He thumped his kick against the crossbar after Rory Squires had bundled over McSweeney.

Sutton Coldfield . 2 Stratford Town . . 1 SUTTON, who had drawn at Conference side Burton Albion last Tuesday, were looking at the wrong end of an upset after Stratford of the Travel Factory Alliance took a second half lead against their Southern League opponents.

But their blushes were spared as two goals in the last 15 minutes put them into tomorrow's draw. Richard Ball, Dean Perrow and David Berks all went close for Sutton in the first half, but Stratford pushed them after the break and after 54 minutes Scott Darroch rounded keeper Justin Bray but both Nathan Moran and Mark Wolsey were on hand to clear off the line.

But on 68 minutes a loose pass from Lucan Spittle allowed Tom Lever to race away down the left before roundingBrayand pulling the ball back for Darroch to score. Ball and Perrow both again went close before Sutton equalised on 75 minutes. Richie Gardnercombinedwith Ball then placed his shot under Wayne Starkey.

Ball was also involved with the deciding goal after winning the ball off Phil Mortimer, he cut inside the box passing across goal for Perrow to tap home.

St Blazey .......1 Evesham United . 2 EVESHAM'S long haul to Cornwall was worthwhile after this excellent victory against previously unbeaten St Blazey.

Thehome side hadno answer to Evesham's slick passing and the margin of victory could have been even bigger.

Evesham's first goal arrived in the 62nd minute. Leon Blake's free kick from 25 yards hit the crossbar and the assistant referee ruled that the ball hadcrossedthe line.

Four minutes later Evesham added a second when Dale Band, challenged by Jermain Clarke, turned the ball into his own net. Despite pulling a goal back through Mark Vercesi with four minutes to go, Evesham held on to gain a famous victory.
COPYRIGHT 2004 Birmingham Post & Mail Ltd
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2004 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Sport
Publication:Sunday Mercury (Birmingham, England)
Date:Sep 19, 2004
Previous Article:Football: DAVIES FINDS FOUR-TUNE.
Next Article:Football: Lewer to the Rovers rescue.

Related Articles
Ellistown hit for 10 as Amateurs turn on style.
Russian cops rob Gers fans.
Brothers on double for Skem; SKELMERSDALE.
Aged just 12 but up for England.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters