Printer Friendly

Football: CARTER'S DOUBLE BOOST FOR BUCKS; UNIBOND LEAGUE DIVISION ONE Stocksbridge P.S. ....1 AFC Telford United . . . 2.

TWO goals from Alfie Carter sealed a vital away win for AFC Telford at wind-swept Stocksbridge.

Kick-off was in doubt right up to three o'clock with heavy rain leaving large puddles building up on the playing surface.

But the game eventually got the goahead and it looked as if it was not to be Telford's day when the lively Stefan Zoll put his side ahead on 11 minutes, poking home after Telford keeper Brock had only managed to parry a shot from Alvin Riley.

The visitors were level within three minutes, Carter side-footing home after Luke McNally, son of manager Bernard, had jinked through the defence and squared the ball for the striker.

The rain eased after the break, but the wind continued to blow unabated and Telford were put under pressure by their hosts.

The Bucks won it with a goal against the run of play. Craven whipping in a cross and striker Carl Perry diverting the ball goalwards for Carter to finish. The result keeps Telford's play-off ambitions alive and jubilant manager McNally has called on his team to keep their unbeaten run, which stretches back to the end of 2004, going for as long as possible.

Brigg Town .........2 Gresley Rovers .......1 GRESLEY'S winless league run hit seven games as they lost to promotion rivals Brigg.

The visitors began well and both debutant Micky Lyons and top scorer Aaron O'Connor had chances to put them in front.

However, the home side took the lead against the run of play in the 25th minute.

With a strong wind behind him, midfielder Ross Thompson let fly from 30 yards with a shot that flew over Gresley keeper Dale Belford and into the back of the net.

The home side doubled their advantage 14 minutes into the second half. Right wing-back Ian Ward saw a cross blocked, but the ball rebounded to him and he beat Belford at the near post with a left-foot shot.

Rovers pulled one back nine minutes later when Matt K Smith's shot was dummied by Andy Simpson and defender Jamie Hood smashed home a shot via the underside of the bar.

Both sides had chances late on. Substitute Emeka Ejiofior hit the post with a header for Rovers while Belford did well to block home striker Simon Drayton's effort.
COPYRIGHT 2005 Birmingham Post & Mail Ltd
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2005 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Sport
Publication:Sunday Mercury (Birmingham, England)
Date:Feb 13, 2005
Previous Article:Football: SERRELL IS ON TO A WINNER! Soccer chief scores at the races.
Next Article:Football: Allen is quick to answer Saville; WEST MIDLANDS REGIONAL LEAGUE.

Related Articles
Thommo's praise for partner Johnston.
Bogie blasts flops.
Football: Marine desperate to bounce back.
Football: Marine sailing to finish.
Top pair staying at Bucks; NON-LEAGUE.
Watson's Sandgrounders have chance to go top.
Port go to Telford.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2022 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |