Printer Friendly

Flesh-eating bug tragedy.

A MIDLANDS drug addict has died after contracting a harrowing flesh-eating bug.

The bug, called necritising fasciitis, affected the man's leg and he died in Derby.

An inquest into the death of Kenneth Berridge heard the addict injected heroin two days before being admitted to hospital. But the injection proved fatal.

Necrotising fasciitis is caused when bacteria living in or on the body gets into deep tissue.

This can be caused by injecting drugs, cuts, insect bites and surgical wounds.

It made Mr Berridge's leg swell and he was soon unable to walk.

After being admitted into hospital, the 51-yearold died from blood poisoning on March 28.

Assistant coroner Louise Pinder said he died of sepsis caused by necrotising fasciitis caused by intravenous drug use.

COPYRIGHT 2019 Birmingham Post & Mail Ltd
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2019 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Sunday Mercury (Birmingham, England)
Date:May 5, 2019
Words:125
Previous Article:Compulsory child jabs bid.
Next Article:MY GENTLE GIANT KILLED BY CANCER ONE MONTH AFTER BEING DIAGNOSED.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters