Printer Friendly

Flawed belief in university for all; LETTERS.

ROB Davies (Daily Post, November 30) has had enough courage to put into print statements which past and present generations know are correct. This week he referred to "the well-meaning socialist principle that education should be for all, not the elite preserve of the few."

University education should indeed be elitist, the preserve of the country's finest brains, regardless of family and income. This means that everyone who has the academic ability, whatever their family background and income is, should be assured of a university place ie approx. 25% each year. It would be far better for the other 75% to be given the opportunity to 'discover' what skills and attributes they have and then encourage them to pursue, and enjoy, those vocations at which they are able and competent. A "good generation" is one where skills, mental and physical, are spread evenly throughout the population. As a retired maths teacher I am extremely proud of the fact that I have very good friends who are mechanics, doctors, farmers, teachers, preachers, undertakers and ex-pupils who serve us all loyally in our armed forces.

Neville Hugh-Jones Prestatyn
COPYRIGHT 2010 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2010 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Letters
Publication:Daily Post (Liverpool, England)
Date:Dec 3, 2010
Words:186
Previous Article:Don't miss chance for fast web vote; LETTERS.
Next Article:Put heart into Wrexham 'city' bid; DAILY POST OUR VIEW.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters