Printer Friendly

Five ISAF soldiers dead in IED attacks.

Byline: Khan Wali Salarzai

Five ISAF soldiers dead in IED attacks

Khan Wali Salarzai - Aug 1, 2008 - 09:53

ASADABAD/KABUL (PAN): Four soldiers of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) and a civilian were killed in a roadside bomb blast in the eastern Kunar province on Friday.

A brief statement issued from the NATO press office in Kabul did not give names and nationalities of the troops killed in the improvised explosive device (IED) explosion.

The fatalities resulted from the IED attack on a military convoy carrying logistical supplies from the provincial capital for coalition soldiers stationed in Nari district. An Afghan Army (ANA) soldiers was among three people wounded in the bombing.

Dr. Shafiq Hamdam, NATO spokesman in the eastern zone, said earlier foreign forces suffered no casualties in the incident that happened in Sao area - infested with militants.

While asserting responsibility for the assault, Taliban insurgents said the blast left six foreign and 18 Afghan troops dead. Two foreign military vehicles were also destroyed, claimed rebel mouthpiece Zabihullah Mujahid.

British Royal Navy Captain Mark Windsor, ISAF spokesperson, said: This is a very difficult time right now, and our sincere condolences and sympathies are with the family and friends of the brave soldiers and civilian who died,

He added: Their families and friends are in our thoughts as they grieve for their loved ones who died while helping bring peace and stability to the Afghan people.

Also on Friday, a fifth ISAF soldiers died in an IED attack in the southeastern Khost province, bordering Pakistan. Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the fallen service member, said Captain Windsor.

ISAF remains committed to supporting the Afghan government in rebuilding Afghanistan, a cause for which this service member gave their life, the spokesman added.

In the central Uruzgan province, another insurgency-torn area, the command of a local task force changed hands a day earlier during a transfer of authority ceremony presided by Major General Marc Lessard, commander of Regional Command South.

Dutch Colonel Kees Matthjssen assumed command from Dutch Colonel Richard van Harskamp. Colonel van Harskamp stressed that the task force had succeeded in keeping the pressure on the insurgents.

Khan Wali Salarzai


Copyright A[umlaut] Pajhwok Afghan News. All rights reserved.

Provided by an company
COPYRIGHT 2008 Al Bawaba (Middle East) Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2008 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Pajhwok Afghan News (Kabul, Afghanistan)
Date:Aug 1, 2008
Previous Article:Pakistan summons Afghan envoy.
Next Article:ISI aided Kabul attack, say US officials.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2022 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |