Printer Friendly

Firefighters save family from house.

Byline: By Chris Henwood

A BLACK Country family was rescued from an upstairs window of their blazing house at the weekend.

Three fire crews, along with two ambulances and two rapid response vehicles, were called to the blaze in Long Lane, Halesowen, at just after 6am on Sunday.

A mum, dad and their children - boys aged nine and 13, and a girl of seven - were trapped in their home, but kept calm by 999 operators before being rescued with a ladder.

The family had been woken by a smoke detector.

The mum and children suffered smoke inhalation and were taken to hospital. No other injuries were reported.

A West Midlands Fire Service spokesman said: "Crews from Oldbury, Halesowen and Cradley Heath found the family trapped on the first floor and promptly rescued them using a nine-metre ladder.

"The fire was located by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus in the basement of the house and involved the fuse board.

"The fire was first detected by a smoke alarm that woke the family up."

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: "Four people, a mother and three children, were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and were taken to Sandwell District General for further assessment and treatment."

Firefighters used breathing apparatus and a hose-reel jet to tackle the blaze
COPYRIGHT 2009 Birmingham Post & Mail Ltd
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2009 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Birmingham Mail (England)
Date:Jan 19, 2009
Words:217
Previous Article:Man arrested after death in street.
Next Article:Quiz Of The Day.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters