Filipino landfill worker buried alive in Manila.
The body of Gary Balahibo, a backhoe operator was found inside the backhoe that was unearthed from a heap of garbage dump late Wednesday, Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) chairman Francis Tolentino confirmed on Thursday.
Rescuers are still looking for three other missing landfill workers, who were identified as Pablito Esto, Rovidico Olod and Eddie Malano, said Tolentino.
They are also feared dead following last week's collapse of the dump site in San Isidro village, Rodriguez, Rizal.
The four workers tried in vain not to be eaten up by the garbage dump when the backhoe that Balahibo operated caved in from the area's soft surface, initial reports said.
Landslide on garbage dumps occur only during rainy season, not during summer.
About 8,400 to 8,600 tonnes of Metro Manila's garbage are dumped daily on San Isidro village.
Earlier, Manila's tonnes of garbage were dumped on Smokey Mountain near Tondo district. It was dubbed as Southeast Asia's largest dump site.
Al Nisr Publishing LLC 2013. All rights reserved.
Provided by Syndigate.info an Albawaba.com company
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Gulf News (United Arab Emirates)|
|Date:||Apr 26, 2013|
|Previous Article:||Saif Zone awards high achievers in the Free Zone.|
|Next Article:||UK expats in the UAE celebrate Queen's birthday.|