Filing your taxes late?
If you are filing your taxes after the IRS April deadline, make sure you are aware of the extended deadline and other important information.
If you are eligible for Military OneSource support, you have access to free tax services such as:
* Online tax preparation and filing software through the Military OneSource website until June 30
* Year-round access to Military OneSource tax consultants
Please call Military OneSource at 800342-9647 to learn more about these resources.
If you filed for an automatic 180-day extension (IRS form 4868), you may need to file your return by Oct. 15, 2016.
It is important to know that:
* Filing for an extension does not extend the time you have to pay any taxes due.
* Interest will be applied to any amount owed that you did not pay by the April deadline.
* Depending on the facts and circumstances, you may be responsible for penalties as well.
Special rules for deployed service members
The IRS allows certain extensions for individuals serving outside of the United States:
* If you are on duty outside of the United States and Puerto Rico on the due date of your income tax return, you are allowed an automatic two-month extension to June 15 to file your income tax return. Any tax owed must be paid by the regular due date of the return.
* If you are serving in a combat zone or in a contingency operation (or are hospitalized as a result of an injury received while serving in a combat zone or in a contingency operation), you qualify for extended deadlines. The deadlines for filing tax returns, paying taxes, filing claims for refund and taking other actions with the IRS are extended to at least 180 days after you leave the designated combat zone or contingency operation.
To learn more about filing for an extension or about the tax services available through Military OneSource, call 800-342-9647.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||U.S. MILITARY|
|Publication:||The Exceptional Parent|
|Article Type:||Brief article|
|Date:||May 1, 2016|
|Previous Article:||Memorial Day 2016.|
|Next Article:||A day to celebrate.|