February: your Southwest guide.
* Plant bare-root fruit trees including apples, apricots, Asian pears, 1 peaches, pears, persimmons, plums, and pluots. SUNSET CLIMATE ZONES 10, 11
* Pick just enough citrus to eat, leaving the rest on the tree to increase in sweetness. ZONES 12, 13
* Sow seeds of chives, cilantro, dill, and parsley. Plant marjoram, oregano, rosemary, and sage. ZONES 11-13
* If frost is predicted, cover aloe flower stalks with frost cloth--the plant won't bloom again until the following year if the candelabra-like stalks freeze. ZONES 12, 13
* Sow seeds of snow peas by midmonth (ZONE 10); all month, sow Swiss chard and turnips (ZONE 11); and beets, green onions, peas, and turnips (ZONES 12, 13).
* Scatter wildflower seeds including blue flax (Linum lewisii), firecracker penstemon (Penstemon eatonii), lemon beebalm (Monarda austromontana), and Rocky Mountain penstemon (P. strictus). ZONES 2B-3A
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||GARDEN CHECKLIST|
|Article Type:||Brief article|
|Date:||Feb 1, 2013|
|Previous Article:||Garnishes to grow.|
|Next Article:||The fix is in: a designer shares 9 quick tricks for making any place feet like home.|