Printer Friendly

Fearless son fought through blaze for mum.

Byline: Steven Impey

A FEARLESS son fought through flames as his sleeping mum lay upstairs oblivious to the fire engulfing her semi-detached home.

An inquest heard Mark Talbot and his father had escaped from their Valleys home as the fire swept through the ground floor in the early hours of the morning.

But the 44-year-old ran back inside after realising mum Violet, 77, was still trapped upstairs in the house on Ton Hywel, Trebanog.

Violet, whom Mark helped firefighters carry out of the house, was immediately taken to the Royal Glamorgan Hospital suffering from bronchopneumonia - an inflammation of the lung - and brain damage.

She died 10 days after the fire in hospital on February 17.

The fire, which also took the life of the family's English Bull Terrier, was most likely caused by a discarded cigarette, Aberdare Coroner's Court heard.

Mark's father Lewis Talbot had fallen asleep in front of the television late on February 6 before his son returned home.

Mark sat with him in the living room when he felt the heat from the nascent fire.

He and his father had escaped but his mother was left asleep in an upstairs bedroom.

Firefighters called to the blaze at 1.20am on February 7 knocked through the front door with force.

With Mark's help, they pulled Violet to safety from her bedroom as the fire spread through the building.

She and Lewis were taken to the Royal Glamorgan Hospital, along with their son, where the couple were said to be in a critical condition.

They were treated for smoke inhalation before Lewis was transferred to the University of Wales Hospital Cardiff for further treatment. Violet later died. Coroner Peter Maddox recorded a verdict of accidental death.

CAPTION(S):

* The aftermath of the fire in Trebanog. Violet Talbot, 77, was saved from the flames by her 44-year-old son Mark, but died 10 days later
COPYRIGHT 2011 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2011 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:South Wales Echo (Cardiff, Wales)
Date:Jul 20, 2011
Words:314
Previous Article:'Mini-me' Ben cashes in for club.
Next Article:Cyclists facing pavement ban.
Topics:

Terms of use | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters