Printer Friendly

Father of two died of drug mix overdose.

A FATHER of two with a long history of drug misuse died at home after taking an overdose of diazepam and methadone, an inquest heard yesterday. Cecil Bloomfield, 51, was found lying unconscious on the settee by his son and was pronounced dead, despite efforts by ambulance paramedics to save him.

A post-mortem examination revealed he had taken diazepam and methadone prior to his death. The combination of the drugs led to respiratory failure, contributed to by the fact he also suffered from the lung disease emphysema.

Mr Bloomfield, who had been taking drugs for 20 years and was on a methadone programme, died at his home in Palace Green, Berwick in May last year.

Yesterday's inquest in Alnwick heard that his son Alan arrived home to find him unconscious on the settee. Ambulance paramedics fought to revive him but he was pronounced dead.

Mr Bloomfield's wife Sandra told police she suspected he had taken diazepam while he was out that afternoon, which toxicology tests confirmed.

A pathologist who carried out the post-mortem examination said the combination of methadone and diazepam can be lethal. He said the combined effects on Mr Bloomfield's lungs - already compromised by emphysema - would have led to respiratory failure.

North Northumberland coroner, Tony Brown, recorded a verdict that Mr Bloomfield died as a result of an accidental overdose of diazepam and methadone, contributed to by emphysema.
COPYRIGHT 2012 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2012 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Journal (Newcastle, England)
Date:Feb 8, 2012
Words:230
Previous Article:Plane crash survivor back on cloud nine.
Next Article:Problem-solving and advice from a true business legend; Entrepreneur Herbert Loebl's innovative programme to persuade more North East firms to sell...
Topics:

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters