Printer Friendly

Father died after inhaling helium gas.

A FATHER-OF-TWO died after inhaling helium gas, an inquest heard yesterday. The body of Joshua Brydie, 46, from Llanidloes, was found at home with a plastic bag over his head and a tube from a helium gas cylinder leading to it.

The inquest into Mr Brydie's death, held at Welshpool Magistrates' Court, heard that a bottle of Jack Daniels whiskey that was one-third full and a small amount of whiskey in a glass tumbler were also found by his body.

Recording an open verdict, Powys coroner, Peter Maddox, said that there were "too many variables" for him to return a verdict of suicide.

"He had consumed sufficient alcohol to have possibly impaired his judgement," he said.

Mr Maddox said a post-mortem examination by consultant pathologist Christopher Simpson from Bronglais General Hospital in Aberystwyth had revealed that the cause of death was asphyxia and helium inhalation.

"There was no sign of any natural disease," said Mr Maddox.

"Toxicology analysis showed that fairly high readings of alcohol were found.

"It is my belief that the alcohol may well have been significant in affecting his mood at the time of his death.

"So the issue of intent could not be determined on the evidence.

"An entry in his desk diary suggested that he was thinking of harming himself and it was in his thoughts.

"But this could have been an experiment which ended up with his death.

"To return a verdict of suicide, I need to be sure that he knew the consequences of what he was doing.

"And I can't extrapolate backwards with any preciseness as there are too many variables."
COPYRIGHT 2011 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2011 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Western Mail (Cardiff, Wales)
Date:Jan 29, 2011
Words:269
Previous Article:With the possible exception of golf, football has struggled with people with ovaries more than any other sport. The sad thing is, it could have been...
Next Article:'Work together to protect our freedoms'.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters