Famous names raced to track immortality.
Byline: Brian Lee
The last greyhound meeting at Cardiff Arms Park on July 30, 1977 The last greyhound meeting at Cardiff Arms Park on July 30, 1977 GREYHOUND racing first came to Wales on April 7, 1928, at the Welsh White City Stadium at Sloper Road in Cardiff.
The most famous greyhound to race there was the legendary Mick The Miller, who broke the world record for the standard distance of 525 yards in the semi-final and then again in the final when contesting the 1930 Welsh Greyhound Derby.
The Welsh Greyhound Derby was held at the Sloper Road Stadium between 1928 and 1938 and at the Cardiff Arms Park between 1945-1977.
Another top greyhound which won the Welsh Greyhound Derby was Beef Cutlet, who won the 1933 renewal in 29.56 secs compared to Mick's world record of 29.55 secs.
A number of greyhounds which won the English Greyhound Derby also won the Welsh equivalent at the Arms Park.
Perhaps the most famous of these was Patricia's Hope, owned by Basil Marks. In 1972, this white and fawn dog not only won the English and Welsh versions but also the Scottish Greyhound Derby, thus landing the Triple Crown.
Patricia's Hope, who had amazing speed from the traps, also won the 1973 English Greyhound Derby and the last time the feat of back to back victories in this event had been achieved was in 1928-1929 when Mick The Miller was successful.
The record at the Cardiff Arms Park track belonged to a black dog called Local Interprize, which was said to be "the greatest sprinter in the history of greyhound racing". Local Interprize won the 1948 Welsh Greyhound Derby by seven lengths from West End Dasher in 29.32 secs.
The names of other Welsh Greyhound Derby winners such as Trev's Perfection (1947), Ballylanigan Tanist (1951), Endless Gossip (1952), Rushton Mac (1955) and Mile Bush Pride (1959) will be music to the ears of greyhound racing fans.
As for Beef Cutlet, he was trained at first by John Hegarty, later to become the manager at the Cardiff Arms Park.
Beef Cutlet's first race was at the Arms Park in 1932 where he set a record of 28.41 secs when winning the 500 yard Glamorgan Cup. He was bought by Sir Herbert Merritt, chairman of Cardiff City Football club, as a present for his daughter Jane.
You can send your |Cardiff stories/pictures to Brian Lee, Cardiff Remembered, South Wales Echo, Six Park Street, Cardiff, CF10 1XR or email email@example.com
The last greyhound meeting at Cardiff Arms Park on July 30, 1977
Tic-tac men signal the odds at a meeting in Cardiff Arms Park in July 1974