Families of Tunisia attack victims praised.
Two years on from the Tunisia terror attack, the families of victims have been praised for showing "tremendous courage" as they have sought to find out exactly what happened on the fateful day.
On June 26, 2015, a gunman opened fire at a popular beach hotel killing, 38 tourists including Blackwood care worker Trudy Jones. Since then, British families affected by the incident are putting their efforts into fundraising and awareness-raising as they seek to come to terms with what happened, Irwin Mitchell law firm said.
An inquest into the deaths of 30 British citizens concluded earlier this year. It heard that the owners and staff of the Tunisian hotel where the attack occurred could have done nothing beforehand that would have done more than "possibly make a difference".
Judge Nicholas Loraine-Smith said he could not include "neglect" by holiday firm TUI or the owners of the five-star Riu Imperial Marhaba Hotel when ruling on the deaths of the British victims of Seifeddine Rezgui.
But families who lost loved ones said they had been left "shocked" by the hotel's lack of security measures and called for the travel industry to learn lessons from the evidence at the inquest.
The judge is expected to publish his report into possible action to learn lessons from the tragedy in coming months, while a criminal investigation in Tunisia is also ongoing, with a hearing scheduled for October.
Survivor Mathew James, from Pontypridd, was hailed a hero for taking a bullet for his now-wife Saera Wilson during the attack.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||South Wales Echo (Cardiff, Wales)|
|Date:||Jun 26, 2017|
|Previous Article:||'I'm desperate. I feel like a prisoner in my home'.|
|Next Article:||Wales sees 300 firefighters cut in space of a decade.|