Printer Friendly

Falcons edged out in Llanelli thriller.

Byline: By Jack Pickering

A late try from British Lions No 8 Scott Quinnell sealed the fate of Newcastle Falcons during an entertaining clash at Llanelli last night.

Going into injury time, Newcastle only trailed 35-33 - the difference between the sides being a missed conversion by replacement Joe Shaw - with both teams having collected five tries.

The Falcons, on a first visit to Stradey Park, started with five internationals and were looking to atone for last week's defeat in Glasgow.

They went close to opening the scoring in the seventh minute when back row men Epi Taione and Warren Britz set up a try-scoring chance for prop Marius Hurter, but he fumbled the ball in the act of touching down.

The error proved costly because in the 12th minute Quinnell released lock Bryn Griffiths for a corner try which fly-half Gareth Bowen improved on.

The Scarlets, with six internationals on view, made it 14-0 when fly-half Bowen touched down and added the extras. Newcastle eventually opened their account in the 24th minute with a fine individual try from Wing Michael Stephenson, goaled by fullback Ben Gollings.

Weak tackling then led to Llanelli centre Tal Selley touching down only for Newcastle to respond right on half time.

A meandering run from lock Geoff Parling split the home defence, and captain and No8 Hugh Vyvyan went in at the posts with Gollings converting for a 21-14 interval scoreline.

However in the 50th minute the Falcons were 35-14 in arrears after the Scarlets upped the ante with tries from centre Selley and flanker Ian Boobyer.

Newcastle responded with a try from wing Alex Cadwallader - a close season recruit from Newport - and the game was delicately balanced on 35-26 when flanker Taione claimed a 69th minute try. It became even closer, 35-33, when Phil Dowson touched down two minutes from time, but Llanelli lasted the pace better and went on to take the spoils.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2003 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Journal (Newcastle, England)
Date:Aug 30, 2003
Previous Article:Vikings stand-in protest fails.
Next Article:North East Premier League.

Related Articles
Falcons edged out in thriller.
Borders rescued for next season.
Falcons live on the Beeb.
Cup joy as Luke heads `home'.
RUGBY UNION : Jones nervous as he returns from injury nightmare.
Wilko's wizardry goes to waste.
Falcons denied by ref blunder.
Complex route to the Millennium Stadium.
Falcons spilled out of the cup.
Drovers on the up.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters