Printer Friendly

Factory workers flee acid blaze.

WORKERS at a Rugby company had to be evacuated when a bath of corrosive acid caught fire, sparking a major alert.

Firefighters from Rugby, Brinklow, Atherstone and Stratford were called to Blanc Aero, on the Butler's Leap industrial estate, at 10am yesterday after an acid bath, containing 150 litres of sodium hydroxide, caught fire.

Ten workers were evacuated from the site and firefighters wearing chemical protection suits and breathing apparatus, went inside.

Leading firefighter Andy Stock, of Rugby, said: "They used a large sheet of metal, to cover the bath and smother the flames.

"Then it was a case of waiting for it all to calm down and await specialist information from the company and our control room."

No-one was hurt in the incident.
COPYRIGHT 2001 Coventry Newpapers
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2001 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Coventry Evening Telegraph (England)
Date:Jul 30, 2001
Words:124
Previous Article:Police lead the siren call for family fun.
Next Article:Naming fee is a right royal rip-off.


Related Articles
Fire crews in acid blaze drama.
Stadium cash plea.
Blaze breaks out at bakery.
287 JOBS GO AT BLAZE FACTORY; Pet food boss vows to rebuild company.
TheWorldTonight: Militants 'responsible for blaze'.
Arson not suspected as cars are destroyed in the early hours.
Jharkhand fire guts property worth millions.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |