Printer Friendly


Byline: The Register-Guard

Grants available for promoting tourism

Applications for the Tourism Special Projects Grant Program are available to community groups, businesses and organizations in Lane County.

The deadline for filing applications is 5 p.m. Jan. 30.

The Lane County Board of Commissioners approved approximately $175,000 to be used for tourism projects that promote Lane County as a visitor destination.

The funds, which come from hotel/motel and campground room-tax receipts, are to be used for special or unique projects. The projects must increase the number of visitors to Lane County, extend their length of stay, develop regional marketing and increase room-tax revenue by promoting coordination throughout the tourism industry.

Applications are available online at; at the Lane County Parks Division administrative office, 3050 N. Delta Highway; Public Works administrative office, 3040 N. Delta Highway; or Board of County Commissioners' office, 125 E. Eighth Ave., Eugene.

The Parks Division administers the grants. A five-member citizen committee, appointed by the commissioners, evaluates, scores and makes recommendations for final approval. Grants will be given in March and awarded on a matching fund basis.

Past recipients include: Oregon Bach Festival (advertising), Adelante Si Hispanic Organization (Fiesta Latina) and various Lane County Chamber of Commerce projects (advertising and special events).

For more information about the grants, call Loralyn Spiro, grant program administrator, at 682-2000.

Tax credits available for farmworker housing costs

SALEM - Oregon Housing and Community Services announced a funding opportunity for farmworker housing. The agency's Farmworker Housing Tax Credit program for 2009 will make available $3,625,000 in 2009 tax credits to construct, acquire and/or rehabilitate housing for low- or very-low-income farmworkers.

The Farmworker Housing Tax Credit Program is designed to give a state tax credit to investors who incur costs to construct, install or rehabilitate farmworker housing.

The credits are awarded for up to 50 percent of all eligible costs for improving or constructing the housing and can be taken over a five-year period. The credits may also be sold.

Farmworker housing is housing that is occupied only by farmworkers and their immediate families. The housing may be year-round or seasonal, in-town or on-farm.

The housing must be located in Oregon and remain designated for farmworker use for a minimum of 10 years.

Applications for these tax credits will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis starting Jan. 2 and continuing through Dec. 31, 2009.

For more information contact Loren Shultz, OHCS program advisor, at (503) 986-2008 or e-mail
COPYRIGHT 2009 The Register Guard
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2009 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Blue Chip
Publication:The Register-Guard (Eugene, OR)
Date:Jan 1, 2009
Next Article:Chamber of commerce membership can help in tough times.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2022 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |