FUMY ICELAND RINK EVACUATED.
VAN NUYS - An ice skating rink was evacuated and two young ice skaters were taken to a hospital as a precaution after people became nauseated from elevated levels of carbon monoxide, fire officials said.
The carbon monoxide apparently was produced by the engine of the Zamboni machine used to smooth the ice at the Iceland rink in the 14300 block of Calvert Street, fire officials said.
``It filled the skating rink with carbon monoxide,'' Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Jim Wells said. ``There were about 35 people in there. They all self-evacuated prior to our arrival.''
Fire officials set up a triage area on the sidewalk across the street from the rink to evaluate more than 20 people, more than half of them young skaters in leotards.
Two girls, believed to be 10 and 13, were taken to a hospital as a precaution, firefighters at the scene said. Both were described as in good condition. The other children and adults recovered by breathing fresh air outside the rink.
Some of the more than 20 people evacuated from the Iceland rink Saturday rest in a triage area set up outside by firefighters.
Mike Meadows/Special to Daily News
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Daily News (Los Angeles, CA)|
|Date:||Mar 26, 2006|
|Previous Article:||QUIET MAN, CARING HEART JIM TEUSCHER'S PASSIONS INCLUDED FAMILY, DOGS, CATS, PARROTS ...|
|Next Article:||BASER INSTINCTS HERE'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN GREED WINS OUT WITH $EQUELS.|