Printer Friendly

FORD ROUGE ASBESTOS VICTIMS WIN MILLIONS IN CONSOLIDATED WAYNE COUNTY SETTLEMENT

FORD ROUGE ASBESTOS VICTIMS WIN MILLIONS IN CONSOLIDATED WAYNE COUNTY
 SETTLEMENT
 DETROIT, Sept. 30 /PRNewswire/ -- One hundred asbestos victims were one minute from trial in Wayne County Circuit Court Tuesday when the last remaining defendant agreed to a multi-million-dollar settlement. Exact dollar amounts were not disclosed.
 The plaintiffs, pipe coverers, pipefitters, laborers and other workers traditionally exposed to asbestos at the Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) Rouge Complex suffered from various diseases, including asbestosis and lung cancer.
 Judge Robert Colombo adapted a pattern set in Baltimore, where thousands of asbestos cases were recently settled. Representative plaintiffs were selected for trial, with findings on the legal liability of 10 asbestos manufacturers to be binding in all 100 cases.
 The plaintiffs were represented by Nancy Caine Harbour of the firm of Miller, Cohen, Martens, Ice & Geary, P.C., and Paul Hulsey of the Charleston, S.C., firm of Ness, Motley.
 Settlements with other defendants were reached previously during one week of intensive pretrial motion hearings and preliminary jury selection.
 "The Wayne County Circuit Court has a history of dealing effectively with asbestos litigation," according to Harbour, "while dockets have become log-jammed in other parts of the country."
 "Judge Colombo was even-handed and helpful to both sides in using consolidated trials as a constructive tool in resolving these cases fairly and efficiently," she said.
 "We are satisfied that our clients were able to get their day in court. We are pleased that they achieved compensation for the wrongs inflicted by the asbestos industry," Harbour added.
 -0- 09/30/92
 CONTACT: Nancy Caine Harbour of Miller, Cohen, Martens, Ice & Geary, P.C., 313-559-2110
 (F) CO: MILLER, COHEN, MARTENS, ICE & GEARY, P.C.; FORD MOTOR
 COMPANY


IN: AUT ST: MI -- DE023 -- X725 09/30/92
COPYRIGHT 1992 PR Newswire Association LLC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1992 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:PR Newswire
Date:Sep 30, 1992
Words:290
Previous Article:S&P'S STOCK PRICE INDEX -- CLOSING, WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 30 PRN
Next Article:POWERCO ASSUMES OWNERSHIP OF GUEMES POWER STATION
Topics:


Related Articles
CONTINENTAL MAY PAY UP TO $170 MILLION IN TEXAS ASBESTOS CASE; SETTLEMENT CALLS FOR $68 MILLION IN NONCONTINGENT PAYMENTS
LANDMARK PROPOSAL COULD SIGNAL THE BEGINNING OF THE END OF ASBESTOS LITIGATION IN THE UNITED STATES
'BREAKTHROUGH' ASBESTOS CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FILED; EXPECTED TO LEAD TO $3.5 BILLION SETTLEMENT WITH FIBREBOARD, INSURERS, COUNSEL SAYS
NATIONAL CONSTRUCTION UNION LEADER CONDEMNS LAWYERS OPPOSING LANDMARK ASBESTOS SETTLEMENT
ASBESTOS SETTLEMENT: COMPANY CONTRIBUTIONS REVEALED
LANDMARK ASBESTOS AGREEMENT PROVIDES JUSTICE, SETTLING PARTIES CONTEND IN CLOSING ARGUMENTS
FORD MOTOR, ROUGE STEEL, AND CITY OF DEARBORN AGREE TO POWERHOUSE PROPERTY TAX SETTLEMENT
DEARBORN MAYOR ANNOUNCES ROUGE STEEL TAX SETTLEMENT
Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Judge Awards $4.45 Million to Family of Brake Mechanic Exposed to Asbestos-Containing Products.
Rouge Steel Clarifies Status of Environmental Lawsuit.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2016 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters