Printer Friendly


OUTA MY WAY... Bromsgrove's No 12 Paul Lloyd tries to muscle in on Bilston Town's Gary Osborne.

MAKING A FIST OF IT... Bromsgrove Rover's David Bridgwater and Bilston's Lee Rollaston clash for possession.

Bromsgrove Rovers ... 0

Bilston Town ... 2

BROMSGROVE saw their Dr Martens membership terminated for at least a season after losing to Bilston at the Victoria ground.

But with Tiverton Town winning 3-2 at Blakenall the victory was to no avail for the visitors as the Devon team clinched promotion along with Hinckley to the Premier Division.

The visitors took the lead on five minutes with top scorer Scott Voice heading home unmarked from a Danny Williams right wing corner.

Rovers battled to match their opponents and were grateful for some fine saves from youth team keeper Jim McGettrick.

Bromsgrove never tested Danny Watson in the Bilston goal and was subject to some strange decisions from referee Hendley of Rowley Regis.

The strangest came on 80 minutes Sean Williams catapulting himself into the area after a collision with Kevin Banner. The penalty was converted by Jason Smith.

Rovers now have to concentrate on formulating a plan for their immediate return to the Dr Martens league.

With a points total of only 30 you cannot complain about relegation, but for how many more seasons will Bromsgrove supporters continue to follow a team at the wrong end of the table?

Blakenall ... 0

Tiverton Town ... 3

PATCHED-UP Blakenall could not contain a buoyant Tiverton side that finally earned the victory that promoted them into the Premier.

The biggest crowd of the season were more than happy in the 19th minute when Paul Chenoweth's driven corner was touched on in the area and the unfortunate Ronnie Walker got the final touch to put the ball passed his own keeper.

A clash between Smith and Les Palmer saw the home striker's petulant kick out earn him an instant red card and that provided Tiverton with a spurt to finally finish off the home side.

On 78 minutes Rogers ended a four man move striking home the second with Blakenall awaiting a foul on Ian Cooper to be awarded and the final word went to Nancekievill.

Racing Club Warwick ... 1

Hinckley United ... 3

CHAMPIONS Hinckley finished their highly successful season with a hard fought victory at battling Racing Club.

Hinckley took just 12 minutes to open the scoring when John Hassall beat emergency keeper Mark Hodson with a well placed shot just inside the post.

Racing Club hit back and grabbed an 80th minute equaliser through Kim Green who powerfully headed home David Titterton's free kick.

But within 60 seconds substitute Ben Steane restored Hinckley's lead by curling a superb free kick from the edge of the area beyond Hodson.

And two minutes from time Hodson was badly at fault when he was beaten by Neil Cartwright's free kick from wide out on the touchline.

Bedworth United ... 0

Evesham United... 2

A GOAL in each half guaranteed Evesham fourth spot and rounded off a turbulent season for Bedworth.

The visitors grabbed the lead in only the 10th minute. The clearance from Bedworth keeper Craig Glover was sent back with interest by Russell Parmenter and as the home defence hesitated Stuart Payne guided the ball past Glover.The inevitable and clinching second goal came five minutes from the end when Shaun Pratt's header found Smith who rifled a shot past Glover from 14 yards.

Sutton Coldfield ... 1

Mangotsfield United ... 2

LEADING goalscorer Darren Edwards played as stand-in keeper and was called in to action after only 40 seconds, tipping a Clive Walker shot away for a corner.

Mangotsfield first effort at goal came after 36 minutes with Robert Claridge heading over from six yards.

United took the lead in the 40th minute following a corner that saw Claridge's header headed into his own goal by Halford in trying to clear the ball off the line.

Edwards again denied Mitchell conceding a corner from which Stuart Randall equalised with a powerful header from Simeon Hodson's cross.

Another corner settled the game with Hendy heading back from the far post to Mark Smith who powerfully headed home from three yards.

Cirencester Town ... 0

Paget Rangers ... 1

PAGET gained maximum points from their last game of the season which could be enough to lift them off bottom place.

Cirencester started the stronger and created the first clear opening when Steve Coleman shot over the bar when well positioned but the visitors countered with two breaks from mid-field by Ben Howell and on both occasions his shots were only just wide.

Cirencester came out for the second half and stepped up the pace.

On 75 minutes Cirencester were awarded a penalty and Neil Burdon was red-carded for handling the ball but Giles Harris powerful spot-kick brought a brilliant save from Matt Harris and shortly after Paget got the vital goal when Warren Given chased a through ball and with Kevin Sawyer stranded he managed to get a foot on the ball to stab it home.

Gresley Rovers ... 4

Cinderford Town ... 0

GRESLEY signed off with their best league victory of the season, albeit against a severely depleted Cinderford.

Top scorer Simon Tucker put Gresley on their way with a 17th minute header from Mark Peters' cross with Peters adding the second eight minutes from the interval after a defensive error.

Tucker notched his 22nd league goal in the 71st minute, walking the ball into the net after robbing teenage keeper Andy Reid before substitute Neil Kitching completed the scoring with an angled shot from Peters' pass.

Weston-super-Mare ... 2

Redditch United ... 2

WESTERN and Redditch completed their season with an entertaining game that ended all square.

The home side dominated the first half. Redditch came out a different side in the second half and Lee Knight struck the crossbar with a free-kick while minutes Mark Benbow forced home keeper Dave Mogg to concede a corner.

From the flagkick Mitchel broke the deadlock on 51 minutes.

Five minutes later King grabbed the equaliser to end the flowing move involving five Western players.

Paul Danks restored Redditch's lead on 64 minutes from Ian Bennett's pass but Jody Bevan snatched Western's second equaliser on 83 minutes with a close range header.

Shepshed Dynamo ... 3

Gloucester City ... 0

SHEPSHED ended a sometimes traumatic season with an impressive win against Gloucester.

Central striker Richard Tanner gave Shepshed the breakthrough in the first half and although facing a strong wind in this second half Chris Gray netted a second and striker Lee McGlinchy scored a third in time added with a solo strike. Shepshed defended well in the second half against the wind and strong pressure from Gloucester with keeper Dean Thomas in fine form but were always looking dangerous on the break. Thomas recovered well to deny Marshall and Shepshed had a let off when defender Michael Cox headed against his own bar with John Folwell completing the clearance.

Hines saved at Newbold's feet who was through on goal in the 75th minute but two minutes later Tanner raced through and selfishly crossing the ball over the face of the City goal for Gray following up to slot in Shepshed's second. In time added McGlinchy raced through jinking his was past Hines and rolling the ball into the empty net for Shepshed's third.

Solihull Borough ... 0

Atherstone United ... 0

SOLIHULL were denied an end-of-season victory by an inspired goalkeeping performance by Atherstone's Dale Belford.

Early chances fell to Solihull's central defender Andy Penny who three times got on the end of free-kicks to head in on goal.

Atherstone went close on the half-hour with full-back Dominic Reece forcing Borough keeper Brendan Murphy in to a diving save. Belford then saved brilliantly on 78 minutes to deny a Brian Gray header.

Rugby United ... 1

Rocester ... 0

ROBBY BEARD'S first half strike ensured Rugby United ended their end game of the season with all three points. It was a rare moment of quality in a typically scrappy end of season encounter, with both sides sitting comfortably in mid-table.

Beard who was at the heart of United's best work, broke the deadlock in the 22nd minute. Olner dictating play from the heart of United's field, threaded a hooked pass through to Beard who lashed home of the half volley. Rocester started the second half brightly, and should have levelled in the 48th minute when Martin Ripley's cross picked out Bostock in the middle, but his header from four yards out went over.
COPYRIGHT 2001 Birmingham Post & Mail Ltd
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2001 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Sunday Mercury (Birmingham, England)
Date:May 6, 2001
Previous Article:Football: Tudor puts Wulfs on track; Birmingham AFA.
Next Article:Football: Rushall hit six to grab topspot; Midland Alliance.

Related Articles
Lancaster City ... 0 Bromsgrove Rovers ... 1.
Wolves match is the big prize; FOOTBALL.
Match Day Mania: Football - Are Diamonds forever?; League new-boys face a critical month in their season.
FOOTBALL: Racing unveil new look.
FOOTBALL: Demanding task for Billy's boys.
FOOTBALL: Bedworth host Adders in cup crunch; DR MARTENS LEAGUE.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters