FLASH BANG GALLOP.
AN ENTIRE street had to be evacuated yesterday after workmen unearthed WWII grenades on a building site.
Bomb disposal experts raced to the scene in Montrose, Angus, after more than 31 suspicious "bottles" were found.
One of the grenades had already broken, giving off a "sulphuric smell".
And police and fire crews evacuated more than 50 residents, before putting up a 600-yard cordon around the site.
Inspector Donald Scobie, of Tayside Police, said the grenades would be destroyed by the bomb squad.
He said: "The bottles found were self-igniting phosphorus grenades from WWII, designed as an anti-tank weapon.
"They are small, about the size of a milk bottle, and create a plume of smoke.
"If anyone had thrown them they'd have got a shock. But they're not explosive."
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||The Mirror (London, England)|
|Date:||Jun 16, 2005|
|Previous Article:||Backpack Jack gets lifesaving double op.|
|Next Article:||THE FLYING DOCTOR; Daredevil MP Fox saves tourist and Lord.|