Printer Friendly

FIREFIGHTER BURNED IN BLAZE CANDLE BLAMED FOR IGNITING HOUSE FIRE; TEEN, DOG ESCAPE.

Byline: Andrea Cavanaugh Staff Writer

TARZANA - A firefighter suffered second- and third-degree burns on his hands Monday while fighting a blaze at a Tarzana home that was started by a candle and caused $600,000 damage.

The firefighter, whose name was not released, was taken to the Grossman Burn Center at Sherman Oaks Hospital in serious condition, said Rick Garcia, an assistant chief with the Los Angeles Fire Department. The firefighter is a 15-year veteran assigned to Fire Station No. 84 in Woodland Hills.

No one else was injured in the fire, which broke out about 7:15 p.m. in the 4700 block of North Nomad Drive.

The second floor of the home was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived. Garcia said a burning candle started the fire, which took about 100 firefighters nearly 50 minutes to extinguish.

The home's owners, Harold and Alice Sulman, were eating dinner in a nearby restaurant with their 16-year-old daughter when the fire broke out. Their 19-year-old son was home alone, they said.

``I have no idea what happened. We were eating sushi and we came home to this,'' Harold Sulman said.

The Sulmans' son escaped from the house barefoot and the family's Labrador retriever was cowering in the garage as the fire burned upstairs.

Damage to the 4,000-square-foot home was estimated at $450,000 to the structure and $150,000 to the contents.

Andrea Cavanaugh, (818)713-3669

andrea.cavanaugh(at)dailynews.com
COPYRIGHT 2004 Daily News
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2004, Gale Group. All rights reserved. Gale Group is a Thomson Corporation Company.

 
Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily News (Los Angeles, CA)
Date:Dec 28, 2004
Words:241
Previous Article:EDITORIAL FACING CRIME BENEFITS OF HIGH-TECH POLICE TOOL OUTWEIGH RISKS.
Next Article:BRIEFLY DRIVER CRITICALLY INJURED IN CRASH.


Related Articles
CANDLE IGNITES COSTLY FIRE BLAZE CAUSES $225,000 DAMAGE TO HOUSE, CONTENTS.
WOMAN BURNED IN HOME FIRE.
City/Region Digest.
FIRE 60 PERCENT CONTAINED FIREFIGHTERS ON GUARD TO PROTECT HOMES IN BOUQUET CANYON.
BRUSH FIRES MAR JULY 4.
BRIEFLY.
Woman's body found in home's ashes.
Fire leaves tenants homeless, man hurt.
FIRE RIPS THROUGH HOUSE NEARLY A DOZEN LEFT HOMELESS BY LATE-NIGHT BLAZE.
BRIEFLY.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters